PDA

View Full Version : OT - Pictures from the Beer family vacation

BlueCorn
08/15/2006, 05:15 PM
I took almost 2000 pictures on our trip up the west coast. I've uploaded ~180 of those to my gallery on my site. Enjoy!

http://gallery.hopdog.com/v/vac_06/

BlueCorn
08/15/2006, 06:54 PM
We took a basic "car vacation." We started in the Marin Headlands (North end of the Golden Gate bridge) and worked our way up the coast roads. Each night we'd get out the map and decide where we wanted to go the next day.

Day 1 - Marin to Bodega Bay
Day 2 - Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg
Day 3 - Fort Bragg to Eureka
Day 4 - Eureka to Crescent City
Day 5 - Crescent City to Cave Junction OR and then back to Crescent City
Day 6 - Crescent City to Florence OR.
Day 7 - Florence OR north past Newport OR and then East to Salem OR.
Day 8 - Salem OR to La Pine OR
Day 9 - La Pine OR to Crater Lake OR and the to Klamath Falls OR
Day 10 - Klamath Falls OR to Burney CA and then to Susanville CA
Day 11 - Susanville CA to Lassen Natn. Park and then home.

We did beaches, national parks, state parks, caves, forests and pretty much stopped anytime there was a photo op. I picked up a Garmin GPS before we left and we used to find obscure roads that we'd never taken before. We didn't hit a 4 lane major highway until we got back to Sacramento Sunday night. The goal was to see things and roads that we'd never been on. Sometimes they were paved, several times they weren't. One in particular, on the way back to Crescent City from Oregon Caves Ntnl. Mnmt. was amazing. It was a 15 mile stretch of one lane gravel through some of the largest redwood trees I've ever seen.

Beer Junior and I explored the entire length of the Lava River Cave near Bend OR. It was 1.5 miles with only the light from our one Coleman lantern. The last 400 yards were crawling on our hands and knees through an 16" high by 36" wide passage (with me dragging 30 lbs of camera gear). All in all, we probable hiked 20 miles. I have the sore muscles and mosquito bites to prove it. :)

The color of the water at crater lake was unbelievable. I think I shot 300 pics there alone.

Chelsey
08/15/2006, 09:54 PM
Awesome pics, looks like a great vacation! :)

thor32766
08/16/2006, 09:44 AM
yeah sweet vacation!

gregr
08/16/2006, 10:04 AM
That was an awesome trip- I had great fun going thru your photos and revisiting places I've been :p Love that country...
Backroads are the way to go aren't they? Love it... one year I did a similar thing from northern California all the way to Montana. Went thru eastern Oregon and western Idaho up thru the Lochsa river country (caught some monster cutthroats!) and into Missoula. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!