PDA

View Full Version : another one about sumps...order of baffles

sir_dudeguy
08/15/2006, 06:24 PM
ok i got three pieces of glass cut by lowes (i actually miscalculated and got them too long, but lowes was cool about cutting it again)

now tho...Should i place them 1" apart? and heres the order i'm thinking of putting the stuff from right to left...

incoming water
skimmer
all 3 baffles?
and maybe a fuge

should i then have the return in the same part as fuge? im guessing no...

or should i have 2 baffles right after the skimmer/incoming water, and then put the 3rd one towards the other side so that i've got a section for a fuge?

one last thing i can do....

they gave me the extra piece of glass that was cut from the baffles, but its a little smaller...not quite long enough to be able to silicone to the sides very good...meaning it wouldnt be as strong of a hold...but could i just use that as more of a wall just to hold the fuge?
so i'd have it like this then

incoming water and skimmer on right
3 baffles right after
about a foot for a fuge
then that little piece of glass, mostly just to hold the sand and stuff from going over to the pump side...i can also use some egg-crate to keep the chaeto over if the water level gets higher than that piece of glass..

let me know what you guys think

mike

kau_cinta_ku
08/15/2006, 06:34 PM
your gonna want 3 sections. sump where your skimmer and heaters are, fuge where sand rock and macro alage are, and a return. which you will want 4 baffles. 3 right after the skimmer section to reduce micro bubbles, and 1 after the fuge

sir_dudeguy
08/15/2006, 06:47 PM
ya thought so...but will that little piece of glass work? or do i have to get one thats taller so the water has to overflow again?

thanks
mike

kau_cinta_ku
08/15/2006, 06:52 PM
i would get a taller one as micro alage floats and will get into the return section and possiably sucked up in the pump.

sir_dudeguy
08/15/2006, 06:58 PM
what if i use the smaller one, but then put some egg-crate over it? I've got a bunch of egg-crate left over. I think thats what i'm gonna do.

because the "baffle" that is on the fuge part isnt there to take out bubbles really, is it? thats what the other first 3 do...right?

thanks again

kau_cinta_ku
08/15/2006, 07:01 PM
yeah eggcrate will work also and just use the glass to keep the sand in. and yes you shouldn't have any or very little bubbles in the fuge

sir_dudeguy
08/15/2006, 07:55 PM
ok thanks! i'm waiting for the first two baffles to dry before i add the 3rd on (ya, i just did the first two about 10 minutes ago)

sir_dudeguy
08/16/2006, 01:38 PM
ok i got all the baffles in...now i gotta figure out where the incoming water pipe needs to be in comparison to the water level in the sump...should it be under the water level? above? or does it really matter?

sir_dudeguy
08/16/2006, 03:32 PM
i've set it up, and its running right now w/just freshwater to test it...however the water going into the sump (out from the overflow) is making quite a bit of noise. Theres a bit of bubbles in the hose (altho theres none in the U-tube) But i've got the pipe thats connected to the overflow about 6 inches below the water level in the sump...should i cut it back some so that its even? or above? or just below? I didnt wanna cut it yet, because i'm not sure if i'm sposed to.