PDA

View Full Version : my eels new roomates?

46bfinGA
08/15/2006, 06:45 PM
just curious what you guys would add to my stocking list.
right now i have a 120 gallon and soon going to be setting up a 4-500 gallon in my basement for them.
i have now
24" goldentail
24" chainlink
4" porcupine puffer
6" pinktail trigger
4" dwarf lionfish

im interested in getting a couple more eels and a few more fish.
what would you guys go with in a tank that size?

splateee
08/15/2006, 08:15 PM
Looks good.
We have a 240 gallon with the following
2 x Zebra eels about 30"
1 x Goldentail 14"
Dogface Puffer
Lunare Wrasse
Sailfin Tang

With a tank that size I would add couple of tangs to your list, they will add alot of movement to the tank. Maybe a Naso, Sailfin or Shoal tang.

NORTHBAY(707)
08/15/2006, 10:30 PM
I think theres a expensive list of feeder fish in your tanks. I'm new to this hobby,but I've been asking A lot of question on what I could add with My Eel (Undulated Moray). All that looks like I would be able to add are feeder fish due to everything would end up as one.look at this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=903526

I don't know the temperament of those type of Eels, but I think there Moray Eels and they tend to feed on other fish. Mine is a very aggressive it get more and more with age and size, it also feeds on fish.

Best of luck with your tanks.

:smokin: later.

Frostyeel
08/15/2006, 10:43 PM
You could probably add maybe one or two more fish but that tank is pretty full I think. I would just wait until you have the larger tank up and running and then you would have plenty of room for another non-fish eating eel or two and some tangs and more triggers and puffers.

NORTHBAY(707)
08/15/2006, 11:03 PM
You may also want to read this thread, it's in the same forum.

big eels and aggressive fish?

splateee
08/16/2006, 07:10 AM
Those eels are consindered to be more on the mellow side. The Chainlink is part of the "pebble tooth" family like the Zebra eel and are docile. The Goldentail stays on the smaller side and are less agressive. Ours just hangs out of its hole all day and dosen't bother the fish. And also the Undulated eel can be very aggressive.

NORTHBAY(707)
08/16/2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the info. on those Eels temperaments. I learn new things everyday from the member on "RC".

sunfishh
08/17/2006, 09:57 AM
It seem obvious, but how about a snowflake?

46bfinGA
08/17/2006, 06:42 PM
yeh snowflakes really dont do it for me.id like to have a hawaian dragon or something but im not sure if it would be too aggressive.i may just get another goldentail or a reverse goldentail.the eels i have now are pretty laid back for the most part.until feeding time of course.i wont be adding any fish until i set up the new tank and its been running for quite awhile.and i almost forgot i have a toadfish in my tank too hes around 7-8".definately time for me to upgrade.

ive been thinking about putting the trigger,puffer and lionfish in different tanks and getting a shark and some rays to go with the morays.ive been wanting some forever and i know they wont work with the fish i have now.i may just put them in the 300 gallon sump.

46bfinGA
08/17/2006, 06:45 PM
what shark would work best with my eels.the tank is going to be 96"x 48" x 36"( or 30").

DragonMorayEels
08/18/2006, 09:27 AM
With the eels you have that even with a catshark, no one could ever guarantee you that when the carshark grows that it will never take a bite out of your eel.

I PM you in return that for you too post the question on the additional eel question for your tanks, that I already have my response for you saved in wordpad that when soon I see your new post that I would then copy it from wordpad for you.

Buddy

46bfinGA
08/19/2006, 07:19 AM
hey dragon, im not sure i understand that last paragraph.i was under the impression that sharks and rays will do ok with morays?

DragonMorayEels
08/19/2006, 08:00 AM
hey dragon, im not sure i understand that last paragraph.i was under the impression that sharks and rays will do ok with morays?

That's not correct for sharks swim about and whatever is in front of them are potential food that at any giving time you will find your eels with a bite taking out of them.

lux_06
08/20/2006, 05:34 AM
LFS has a hexagonal tank with eels and sharks for as long as i can remember... they even share the same hiding places in the rock.

raw88gt
08/20/2006, 09:36 PM
Ive had morays and banded cats together for a while. Never had a problem at all. just dont starve your eels and they dont get to crazy at feeding time.

NORTHBAY(707)
08/23/2006, 02:14 PM
How's it going with the new tank and the tankmates?

:smokin:Later.

46bfinGA
08/23/2006, 08:02 PM
im still a couple months from moving to my new house.im going to build the tank soon after.

NORTHBAY(707)
08/25/2006, 02:23 AM
Didn't know it was a project in waiting.

:smokin: Later.