PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this starfish will make it?

MeuserReef
08/15/2006, 06:57 PM
I found two hermits eating it a few weeks ago (all crabs got evicted from my display and cast into the sump shortly thereafter).

Its been a few weeks and it doesnt seem to be getting any better. I actually think that it has gotten worse. What do you think its odds are for survival?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Original_Tarheel/DSCN1685.jpg

rkelman
08/15/2006, 07:19 PM
Sea stars can regrow limbs but if its degrading I'd say its chances are not good.. Too bad he's a pretty little guy. Good luck.

carlisimo1969
08/15/2006, 07:48 PM
I'm currently nursing a green brittle star back to health. It was attacked and lost one entire arm, 1" tip off of another arm plus a bunch of skin to hermits in a friends tank. It's slowly growing a new arm and the tip has grown back on the other....after nearly two months. If you can get it to respond to a chunk of food, I'd say it's chances are good. Maybe it will be a lucky star (rim shot sfx).
Best of luck.

STEELERFAN747
08/15/2006, 08:29 PM
Hey. Sorry to here he's doing bad, but just in case he doesnt do better, send him my way. I have a harlequin shrimp that i'm sure would love to meet him.

MeuserReef
08/17/2006, 09:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7947539#post7947539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by STEELERFAN747
Hey. Sorry to here he's doing bad, but just in case he doesnt do better, send him my way. I have a harlequin shrimp that i'm sure would love to meet him.

...LOL but I dont think he's going to be much of a snack now...

I checked on him today and most of him is gone. You can only make out part of one leg and the center portion. Would it be possible that he is hurt to the point that He can no longer regenerate? I was surprised to see how much had disappeared since just yesterday. At this rate.... there will be no starfish by Sat morning :-(

Any suggestions for treating him? Would a freshwater dip help?