PDA

View Full Version : Frag Swap!

Leopard Wrasse
08/15/2006, 11:21 PM
SCMAS will be hosting a large scale frag swap on Saturday
November the 18th. More details to follow as they are finalized.

Deuce67
08/16/2006, 08:08 AM
Cool! Looking foward to it.

calvin415
08/16/2006, 09:11 AM
Sweet!

ReefJerk
08/16/2006, 09:30 AM
Perfect timing!!!

The Haj
08/16/2006, 09:31 AM
Zang

Deuce67
08/16/2006, 09:55 AM
Lets pratice some safe swapping :fun1: ! Ill bring a couple Intercepter tablets for those who want to bring some acros.

calvin415
08/16/2006, 10:16 AM
"Practice Safe Swapping" LOL!!! I've got some flat worm exit I can bring as well...

normanviking
08/16/2006, 11:27 AM
Can we set up a communitty tank for the frags at the place? My room mate has a spare 65 gallon tank. Could get some egg crate. So all the frags can be treated at once. Plus see what the corals look like under lights too. Just an idea.

calvin415
08/16/2006, 12:15 PM
Or I can build an acrylic trough/lagoon for the club if we have the funds... Let me know if I can help.

ReefJerk
08/16/2006, 01:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7951501#post7951501 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by calvin415
Or I can build an acrylic trough/lagoon for the club if we have the funds... Let me know if I can help.

That's a good idea. What would be the price for getting something like that done?

calvin415
08/16/2006, 01:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7951781#post7951781 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefJerk
That's a good idea. What would be the price for getting something like that done?

Depends on how big we go, I was thinking only 6" deep since it's all about surface area. I could build a 45 gallon 48x36x6 or 96x18x6 either w/ 3/8" and eurobraced for about 225 (cost of materials). I could go smaller, but I'd still have to buy a full sheet... Shipping in partial sheets wouldn't be cost effective for the club. Or I could do two 48x18x6 for about 125 each... Anyone have some dimensions in mind?

Edit:
I might be able to cut some cost if I go 1/4 inch, but I wouldn't want to go with the 96" idea w/ 1/4"

rekn
08/16/2006, 05:32 PM
is thetre a way some frags could be for sale for club funds? seeing as how i dont have a anything to frag atm =(

tank should be up and running by then,i got a friend up here who has an established reef im sure i can use for them until mines ready

COreefer
08/17/2006, 12:12 AM
rekn, you won't have to trade anything...just donate to the club as per the amount of the frag. This is TBA.

As for the tank, I'm sure some one has a small tank we can fill with water and a heater just to float the frags if need be. There is no need to acclimate them to a display, then reacclimate them. If everyone brings extra water with their frags and each person brings a cooler we should be good to go a far as keeping the frags healthy and constatnt temp. I know a few got too cool after the last meeting and rtn'd on a couple of folks...I would suggest everyone bring a cooler next time. But that's why we are giving the advanced notce, so that folks prepare...

I don't know where we would even keep a club tank...it would be empty 99.9% of the time. Many of us have spare tanks laying around we would be willing to donate...I have a 20L which would be plenty to keep frags warm.

Eric, perhaps if you want to think about building a tank between now and then we could either auction it off or raffle it at a meeting...I just don't know we would get the costs back out of it.

Thurge
08/17/2006, 02:08 AM
As an outsider who hopes to be moved out there by then (still got interviews, so this could all go in a handbasket still) I have a few questions about the swap.
How many people do you expect to have?
Will it be open to non members (with saturday meetings I expect I will be joining should I get the job)?
"rekn, you won't have to trade anything...just donate to the club as per the amount of the frag." I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but will probably be in the same boat. Are you saying that all frags are donated to the club to support the club, and donaters get credit for their donations? So that a swap works like a swap, but buying frags goes to fund the club.
Lastly have you ever tried Fragswapper.com? The two biggest groups here use it and its great.

calvin415
08/17/2006, 08:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7956085#post7956085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by COreefer
Eric, perhaps if you want to think about building a tank between now and then we could either auction it off or raffle it at a meeting...I just don't know we would get the costs back out of it.

Cost is the issue... :( I just don't have the money right now to build one to give. Maybe a fish trap... It will depend on what I can find for scraps and what the cost will end up. :)

Crit21
08/18/2006, 11:49 AM
As for the tank, I'm sure some one has a small tank we can fill with water and a heater just to float the frags if need be. There is no need to acclimate them to a display, then reacclimate them. If everyone brings extra water with their frags and each person brings a cooler we should be good to go a far as keeping the frags healthy and constatnt temp. I know a few got too cool after the last meeting and rtn'd on a couple of folks...I would suggest everyone bring a cooler next time. But that's why we are giving the advanced notce, so that folks prepare...

Good point, but the trade-off is not having enough Interceptor to treat every bag. I suppose the water in the tank could have Interceptor in it, and those that don't want to put their frags in the water and acclimate them could just float their bags. That might satisfy everyone's needs, but will a single treatment be adequate if there is redbug? The same goes for the Flatworm Exit.

Deuce67
08/18/2006, 11:58 AM
A single Interceptor treatment may or may not be enough, but it is a good start. It is still the responsiblity of the reciever to QT the coral anyways regardless. Everyone should know the risk involved when adding new additions.

calvin415
08/18/2006, 12:18 PM
Flat worm exit goes a long way and just 1 drop in each bag will kill any flatworms.

reefkoi
09/10/2006, 04:40 PM
Can the flatworms be detected visually? or is is possible they hide in the base somewhere then multiply in the tank?

Deuce67
09/11/2006, 06:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8117302#post8117302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkoi
Can the flatworms be detected visually? or is is possible they hide in the base somewhere then multiply in the tank?

You can see the red type of flatworms and yes they can hide. They do multiply quickly and Flatworm Exit does kill most of them.

ReefJerk
10/20/2006, 10:02 AM
Is this swap still on? Is there any new info like who will be hosting, time of event, rules of engagement, and most importantly who will be bringing what? Just looking for details.

Cliff...

clowninaround74
10/22/2006, 10:50 PM
same here

Crit21
10/23/2006, 03:34 PM
The timing of this red bug sucks. Well, if I can manage to kill them off with certainty before then, I have a ton of frags to swap. One of the frags is a blue tort.

If I'm the least bit uncertain about their extermination, I won't bring any.

COreefer
10/24/2006, 04:41 PM
The frag swap is still on!!! Details to come soon!