PDA

View Full Version : would this be enough lighthing for a 30g reef?

phuntoon
08/16/2006, 10:14 AM
http://www.hellolights.com/co30luaq.html

Is 130W for my 30g enough for decent coral growth or do I need more wattage or supplement with a MH?

What kinds of coral would I be able to keep with this lighting??

Shooter7
08/16/2006, 10:23 AM
I had a 26 gal bowfront that I had this fixture on:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CU-ORBIT30&Category_Code=currentusa

I have a 10 g that I have a coralife PC fixture on and I have to say that I liked the current usa Orbit fixture much better. It was much quieter (the cooling fan) and the clear shield just slid out from the side for easy cleaning. I liked the design aesthetics of it much better too.

I kept many zoanthids, mushrooms, and LPS under this wattage. Also got moderate growth and color from an orange montipora capricornis placed up high on the rocks under this amount of light. You might get some monti digi to grow under it as well.

Dubbin1
08/16/2006, 10:31 AM
All you will be able to keep with that light is lower light corals like zoas and shrooms. Do yourself a favor and spend a little more the first time so you wont have to upgrade later.

Andrew
08/16/2006, 11:00 AM
You can keep zoas, shrooms, softies, and some LPS corals. If you have the money then just got with T5s or MH. A retro kit would also save some money if you want to go with T5 or MH.

msn711
08/17/2006, 11:20 AM
Like the others said, you could do softies and a good bit of lps with the PC lights you have picked out. You would get better growth out of MHs, but the PCs will work just fine. There have been a lot of complaints about T5s when it comes to soft corals, so be careful and do your research before you go that route. If you're a beginner and just starting out you probably won't be diving into SPS anytime soon anyway (which is what T5s seem to be better for). Go with the PCs or MH (if you don't want to upgrade later).

RudeBoy
08/17/2006, 12:24 PM
I kept Capricornis, Digi's and Acros under 130w of PC for 5 years. Acro's will grow, but, they won't be the same color as if they were under MH's. They tend to brown under PC's but revert to their original color if moved to more intense lighting. Corals do suprisingly well under these lights if you keep your water parameters up. You definitely won't be limited to Mushrooms and Xenia....