PDA

View Full Version : Shipping by USPS

All Delight
08/16/2006, 01:13 PM
Just went to the post office today to ship corals that I've sold, and they won't allow me to.

New restriction, you can't ship anything containing liquid. Due to the terrorist stuff that happened last week.

corey0613
08/16/2006, 01:52 PM
i just got 2 orders today from USPS??? maybe its just in your area??

Sully_z
08/16/2006, 03:32 PM
I had an order of frags shipped to me today and be here tomorrow with no problem. Called my post office and gave them the tracking # and they said they would call when it came in so I could pick it up right away even if it was in the middle of the night.

All Delight
08/16/2006, 03:38 PM
Thats strange. When I went up to the counter, they asked me, "Is there anything pershiable, liquid, or potentially hazardous?". I said, "Theres water in there". She said, "You can't ship this, there are new restrictions, and you can't ship anything with liquid".

Then I said, "Aww I should've said no". She said, "Well that could've ended up worse if we caught you. That would be considered a federal offense. Using US postal to ship potentially hazardous material. Trust me you didn't want to lie".

Yikes.

diddye
08/16/2006, 03:48 PM
what? They're gonna change a fed offense for shipping a bag of water? I think she was pulling your leg. Another way you can possibly try is the wet towel method. See if that would work.

jay24k
08/16/2006, 03:54 PM
I'd go to a new post office.

cschweitzer
08/16/2006, 04:05 PM
I'd ask for a supervisor. Don't let her get away with that. Seems like she either doesn't know how or doesn't want to do her job. Either wya she should not be in that position. That is untrue, and has happened to people in the past through USPS before the whole liquid scare. Just tell them it is perishable next time, they do not refuse perishable items.

onegreenray
08/16/2006, 04:10 PM
dude why did you answer the question yes. just should have said no to all three questions they ask.

tell me how would they catch you. she is being paranoid. like most postal employees.

fishykidd916
08/16/2006, 04:19 PM
i shipped some corals today and they did not ask me anything....
......lucky me...

you should just try another post office and maybe you'll get lucky ....

pwhitby
08/16/2006, 04:40 PM
I shipped to Sully today.........no problems.

FWIW liquid is allowed, just not in hand luggage.

Paul

All Delight
08/16/2006, 04:51 PM
I think I'm gonna give them a call. This sucks.

n2prelude03
08/16/2006, 05:23 PM
i said no today... that federal offense kinda scare me guy

Bebo77
08/16/2006, 05:27 PM
i think that woman must work for Homland Security on weekends and has her jobs confused.. lol she is wrong. liquids can still be shipped.

n2prelude03
btw i have the samw question as you .

jay24k
My father in law works at a Post Office. I'll ask him to ask.

TOURKID
08/16/2006, 05:42 PM
I heard that you couldent ship liquids anymore. I havent checked up on it tho.

momof6kids
08/16/2006, 06:25 PM
I went to the post office today to mail a regular package and they did ask if there were anything pershiable, liquid, or potentially hazardous in it. There wasn't so I don't know what their response would have been if I had said yes.

Pretty soon we won't be able to do anything. :mixed:

goda
08/16/2006, 06:54 PM
how will places like drfostersmith get around this?
what about ups can they ever tell them no liquids since they are gov controlled

ReefHoBo
08/18/2006, 01:21 AM
any words on teh usps shipping?

podcar
08/18/2006, 01:33 AM
This is from the USPS web-site under mailability:
"2.3 Liquids
Mailers must mark the outer container of a mailpiece containing liquid to indicate the nature of the contents. Mailers must package and mail liquids under the following conditions:

a. Use screw-on caps, soldering, clips, or similar means to close mailpieces containing liquids. Do not use only friction-top closures (push-down types). "

Plenty of restrictions but still seems legal.

geckotail
08/18/2006, 09:52 AM
i just got off phone with usps

package it well like stated above, but also

you have to write on the box. LIVE ANIMAL.

and declare it. i would recommend calling local office in advance and confirm all this.

goda
08/18/2006, 10:00 AM
so how is liveaquaria shipping now.. in bottles?

All Delight
08/18/2006, 10:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7953508#post7953508 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jay24k
My father in law works at a Post Office. I'll ask him to ask.

Any word?

ezcompany
08/18/2006, 05:12 PM
does the declaring bit have extra charges or inconveniences?

Vorteil
08/18/2006, 05:20 PM
I also asked USPS on liquids & they stated that you cant ship any. I had asked them about shipping fish & they said no. I'm sure it may be a differnt issue with UPS & Fed Ex. So whats the real deal?

davweaver
08/18/2006, 05:36 PM
I am a USPS Supervisor and one of the areas of my responsibility is the window............we have asked the hazardous,liquid, fragile or perishable question for years...........you can ship liquids..........there are things you cant ship but WATER is not one of them.

We have had no change due to last week...................

EMBRYOGUY
08/18/2006, 05:40 PM
it does not get any better than info from a USPS Supervisor.

thats good enough for me. thank you dave.

n2prelude03
08/18/2006, 05:53 PM
i called usps before i ship today and they say yes you can, but bring it to the post office so they can show you the correct way to ship it.

davweaver
08/18/2006, 05:57 PM
no problem.......glad to help.........to explain more.......if you state you have live animals inside they my call the express mail center to be sure there will be a flight leaving for the area you are shipping.

If you do not disclose whats inside .........we will not be checking it is against the law....only postal inspectors can open mail with a warrant. We will only know if it starts leaking and then we still dont know if you were asked if it contained one of the 4 items or just didnt disclose.

and one more thing our express mail general flys on fedex planes.....

pwhitby
08/18/2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks Dave.

fwiw My shipment went OK yesterday.

Freed
08/18/2006, 06:48 PM
Hey Dave, thanks for the info and all but could you then give me some insight as to why the main post office in Fort Wayne, IN. will not let me ship live coral when the USPS web site specifically states that you can ship snails and some fish, etc.? Thanks for any help. Jeff

sodaman
08/18/2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks for taking the time to give us that info Dave!

davweaver
08/19/2006, 11:53 AM
I really woundnt know why off hand but in some areas to and from express mail is a 2 day service..........I would ask them why? not just can I............and if that doesnt get you the proper answer............you can call 1 800 275 8777 it is an automated service. register your complaint and some one will call you back.......it will force them to find the correct answer.

pufferpoison
08/19/2006, 01:42 PM
not shipping water is load of crap. The two ladies up there know me and know I ship corals and chaeto and always just write on the sides (perishable, liquids, keep out of direct sunlight, this end up) etc.. and no the lady that told you that is high on weed.

DJ88
08/19/2006, 04:23 PM
[moved]

Serioussnaps
08/19/2006, 11:32 PM
Fedex will let you....you just cant ship anything that breathes is a good addage....usps i was told no liquids including licquor and what not....you can just lie when they ask if theres any liquids....they dont look!!!

leeweber85
08/20/2006, 12:03 AM
I don't watch tv or read the paper so what happened last week?

I tried shipping cheato a couple days ago and got a call from the post office saying that my package was dripping something. They asked what it was so I told them it was just a plant with a little water and it was triple bagged. They said they would send it on but it never made it to the recepient.

wav3form
08/20/2006, 12:52 AM
Most usps workers are clowns, at least the ones in my town are. I know more about their regulations than they do since I ship a lot of stuff not related to fish. It's always the same bs with them when I go to the counter. They don't know how to send mail overseas without taking up 20 minutes of your time figuring out how to do it, they freak out when you show up with a pre-paid label on a package, they ask that silly fragile liquid perishable thing when I already checked that off during the online payment. Someone needs to get these people up to speed on this stuff.