PDA

View Full Version : What method of Quarantine for a Regal?!?!?!

FxdupCobra
08/16/2006, 09:05 PM
I just bought a Red Sea Regal Angel fish. Despite all the warning I am going to try to Quarantine him. He is about 5-6 inches and very fat. I got him from the LFS and he is still in the sealed bag (the LFS just got it from the shipper). I am going to put him in a quarantine tank, get him eating and then decide what I am going to do. Should I treat him for ich or should I just leave the water parameters normal and just observe him for a couple of weeks?!?!?!? (This is all based on the fact that if he eats).

Any advice would help.

Thanks!

FxdupCobra
08/17/2006, 10:39 AM
Ok he is in the hospital tank but he is hiding what can I do to make him comfortable?

Steven Pro
08/18/2006, 05:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7957969#post7957969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FxdupCobra
Ok he is in the hospital tank but he is hiding what can I do to make him comfortable? I would add a bunch of decorations made from inert materials: PVC pipe and fittings, plastic castles, artifical coral heads, etc.

LargeAngels
08/18/2006, 07:10 AM
Like Steven said. No bright light or sudden movements around the tank. Nori, mysis and Spectrum pellets is what my regals like.

Keep a close eye on it for parasites. Personally, and I know many don't agree, I proactively treat all my fish with Cupramine and Prazipro (but of course NEVER at the same time.) I've probably had the greatest success and survival rate since I implemented this. IMO parasite infection is a greater detterent to getting the fish to eat than the treatment listed above.

FxdupCobra
08/18/2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the replies! I added some more things into the tank. He is hiding when he sees movement but if there is no one (he can see) he comes out and starts picking on things. Yesterday, he ate some seaweed, formula 2 and even some meaty pellets. I guess I am going to get him eating good (hopefully) then I will probably use some method of quarintine (hypo or copper).

Steven Pro
08/18/2006, 09:43 AM
Do you have a background on the back and sides of the tank? Sometimes this helps too.

FxdupCobra
08/18/2006, 10:29 AM
The back of my tank is tinted (black) but the sides and front are clear. I will try to take a pic of my hospital tank.

FxdupCobra
08/18/2006, 10:59 AM
Here is a pic of my Hospital tank with the Regal

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/88128Hospital2.jpg

Let me know what you guys think?

cristhiam
08/18/2006, 01:14 PM
Very nice fish! If you really want to treat the fish for parasites (ick) I would do hypo IMO. I use this method and it's worked very good. I do this to all new fish after I had an outbreak of ick. Not fun.

LargeAngels
08/18/2006, 01:49 PM
Yes, but Hypo is only good for ich and not velvet.