PDA

View Full Version : My T-5 Questions For Future Reference!

ZURCSREEF
08/16/2006, 09:40 PM
I have some questions, I just recently took down my tank due to a future move. But I have been seriously thinking about switching from Metal Halides over to T-5's. I was currently using 2-400w MH with 4-110w VHO's as actinic supplementation... I was getting great growth, but along with the growth, heat issues aswell as electrical bill issues. I have been looking into this fixture from Sunlight Supply... it has 8x54w and is 48" long (moving to a 120g 4x2x2), I was thinking if this would give me the same growth as my metal halides (were running 15k XM's along with Super Actinic URI VHO's), and also keep color like my MH's did (along with great water conditions) with my Acro's, monti's, zoo's, rics, etc. What would be the best bulb choice as far as color, par, reliability, etc.? How many "actinics" how many "daylights" what color combo should I go with if I decide to do this. Would this be as good or better move from the Halides or should I stick it out with the halides and just start using the chiller I have sitting in my garage?

I appreciate all comments, suggestions, please keep this to people who have actually used T-5's / Metal halides. Thanks in advanced!

-Mike C.

The Grim Reefer
08/16/2006, 11:19 PM
The T5's will work, dunno if they would work as well as what you have now, thats a ton of light.

For an 8 lamp system I would really mix things up to get a wide spectrum of light.

I would try 2 ATI Sun Pros, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 UVL Super Actinics, 2 UVL actinic white. That might end up a little more white than you want but it would be a good starting point.

ZURCSREEF
08/16/2006, 11:24 PM
I like a hint of blue, but still be able to bring out colors in my zoo's and acros, but would like it to be crisp. It would be hard for me to go from the shimmering of MH to the "PC look" which is such still light.

-Mike C.

The Grim Reefer
08/16/2006, 11:33 PM
You could trade one of the actinic whites for a 3rd Blue Plus. You should try to find someone in your area with T5's and take a look. Thy look nicer than PC's but they still aint halides, no shimmer.

ZURCSREEF
08/16/2006, 11:46 PM
I know alot of people with T-5's. We actually run them over our new coral system in our store, only been about a week, wanted to get more info on them... there currently over a softies tank, but going to use them with halides aswell in the SPS tank, was just wondering how they would do alone in a SPS tank.

The Grim Reefer
08/17/2006, 12:06 AM
About like this http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=700454&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Aquactinics and Ice Cap have teamed up to make a 6 lamp hood that uses Ice Cap components. That will put more light to the sand then about any 250 watt halide system out there. I measured PAR on a 4 lamp IC retro system over my 125 and it put 183 UMOL's of PAR at the sandbed 18" under the water. My 250 watt DE halides running EVC ballasts, reflectors I'd rate a 4 on a 1 to 10 scale and pretty strong 10K lamps only put 120 or so to the sand.

reefworldaq
08/17/2006, 05:35 AM
Hai grim, my tank only 24x12x20" and only enought use 6 of 24 watt T5HO. what do you thing ? is it ok to keep sps. i'm use osram e-ballast. or maybe you can recommand me. thank's

The Grim Reefer
08/17/2006, 12:29 PM
That will be plenty for SPS.