PDA

View Full Version : Top off system

Nydus
08/17/2006, 12:01 AM
Can anyone recommend a easy to use top off system? I'm not too handy, so something easy from merinedepot or such would be nice :p

eckrynock
08/17/2006, 05:40 AM
Check this (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AH-PREM-ATO&Category_Code=Dosers) out. One of the easiest things to set up. I've never had a problem with this.

phishlet
08/19/2006, 09:01 PM
www.oceanussystems.com

crumbletop
08/20/2006, 05:17 AM
For any topoff system, you will need to get your mind around how they work. Basically there is a water level sensor that activates a pump when the water level drops. To protect from flooding and crashing your system with topoff water, the better systems employ an upper level sensor to shut things off in the event that the water rises too high. Some units also shut down the topoff pump and either alert you to low level water conditions in the sump or shut down the return pump. Basically, the better systems incorporate some redundancy to reduce the possibility of fresh water (or kalkwasser) from flooding your sump/system. If you limit the amount of water that could go into the sump should the topoff unit stick "on" (by using a 10 gallon bucket as a resevoir, for instance), you can further protect yourself.

For fairly simple plug and play, reliability, and redundancy, check out the Tunze Osmolator.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TZ4111

tweetyfish
08/20/2006, 05:54 AM
I use this one, works great! Double switch and double solenoid right from the RO/DI to the sump.
http://www.autotopoff.com/

beaker99
08/20/2006, 06:34 AM
Couldn't we just plumb in the internal flang from a toilet and hook it up to a water source?

crumbletop
08/20/2006, 06:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7974596#post7974596 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beaker99
Couldn't we just plumb in the internal flang from a toilet and hook it up to a water source?

Yes you could. I wouldn't use a float valve from the toilet because that has brass fittings usually (which contain copper). I also wouldn't use a float valve at all because they are prone to getting build up on them and sticking in the "on" position. All it takes is for this to fail once and you are in trouble. Of course if you limit the resevoir size and are only using plain water, then you can minimize that risk. If you are using kalkwasser as topoff that is another story, but for plain old water that could work okay.

Tweety's recommendation of hooking directly to the RO/DI is a bad one, IMO, because you are essentially hooking to an unlimited water source. If that were to stick on -- say while you are out of town for a few days -- you'd be hosed...

There are many ways to skin this cat. I recommend going with a topoff setup that has some redundancy/safety built in.

tweetyfish
08/20/2006, 10:47 AM
That is why I use a double float switch(redundancy). Also I use a second soenoid, just in case the first one fails open. Yes, this is an unlimited water source but I feel there is enough safety factor built into this setup.

TwistedTiger
08/20/2006, 11:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7974532#post7974532 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tweetyfish
I use this one, works great! Double switch and double solenoid right from the RO/DI to the sump.
http://www.autotopoff.com/
That's the one I use, no problems and works great. You can set it to add very little water at one time so if your using kalk you don't have big ph swings by adding too much.

Jester
08/20/2006, 12:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7975851#post7975851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TwistedTiger
That's the one I use, no problems and works great. You can set it to add very little water at one time so if your using kalk you don't have big ph swings by adding too much.

how do you set it to add very little..?? do you jsut use a really small pump..??

phishlet
08/20/2006, 01:46 PM
I use both an Oceanus System model and the autotopoff.com model (on two different tanks). After having used both, I'd go for the Oceanus hands down, no questions asked. These products are in two different ballparks. With the Oceanus, think Tunze Osmolator but customized how you want -- and more heavy duty.

TwistedTiger
08/20/2006, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7976079#post7976079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jester
how do you set it to add very little..?? do you jsut use a really small pump..??
I am using a very small pump sold by the makers of the topoff, but it's the float switch itself that controls such small additions. The sump compartment that it controls the level in is 20"L x 18"W and it adds 12oz each time it makes up. A larger surface area would mean a larger volume eack makeup while a smaller surface area would make the makeup volume smaller.

crumbletop
08/20/2006, 04:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7976079#post7976079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jester

Yeah, what twisted said. The pump size doesn't have anything to do with it for a float switch or optical switch setup. The size of the return chamber (where the water level varies) is what matters along with the sensitivity of the switch. A water level drop over a larger surface area = more volume. So you control how much goes in with each topoff by the size of the return chamber.