PDA

View Full Version : acquiring a 120, any input welcome

batguano
08/17/2006, 07:00 AM
I am picking up a used 120 gal tank this weekend. I am looking for input. Here is the plan, please tell me what you think:

120 gal, prior owner had FO set up with aggressive species. I am going to get the tank drilled and install an overflow. 40 gal AGA breeder tank will be the sump. Three compartments divided with plexiglass. 1st compartment will be loaded with 5 to 10 lbs of live rock rubble and the main tank overflow will drain into there. That compartment will overflow into the refugium, stocked with macro-algae, a deep sand bed and hermits and shrimp. Refuge will overflow into 3rd compartment where skimming, calc. and mechanical filtering will take place. Two fluvals will drain the 3rd compartment, one with floss and charcoal and the other with just charcoal. Finally, the fluvals will feed into an uv sterilizer and then return water to tank. Heater will be in main tank, but the system is in my basement, which is always warm, and I don't think heat will be an issue. No plans yet for a chiller.

The main tank will have 124 lbs of live rock as follows: 70 lbs Tonga branching, 30 lbs Fiji, 24 lbs Tonga deep water.

3 to 4 inch live sand bed.

Livestock so far will just be a blue damsel to get the tank cycled (he has been around for a long time, he lives in my quarrantine tank and I keep him around for just such purposes) and I will place my two tangs (yellow and blue hippo) in the tank once it is cycled. I plan to introduce a wide variety of corals, an anemone (probably a bubble tip as they are easiest to keep), and a variety of cleanup critters. i hope to assimilate an A. Clarki to the anemone. I would like to get a small Sohal Tang, but this is a pipe dream for now and I am concerned about their aggressiveness.

A plant light and fan will provide growth energy to the refugium and the fan will help keep temps down below the main tank.

What do you think? I have not yet addressed lighting, but this will be a full blown reef so lighting will be an issue. Looking for help there.

eckrynock
08/17/2006, 07:12 AM
Bat poop.....who let you out of the lounge? :D

Everything sounds good to me. I like the LR rubble compartment of your sump. I've never heard of using Fluvals as "return pumps". Don't think you will need the UV with this system. Sounds like you've got a lot of filtration already, need to leave some stuff in the water. :cool: Will you be using this refugium for nutrient export only or will you be raising pods in it? Not sure that many of the pods will make it to the main tank if you have floss and carbon in your fluvals. For the refugium, I use Melev's HomeDepot light and I get great growth! Let us know what you choose for lighting, I have been thinking about upgrading lately. I'm looking at 400w HQIs with Radiums for my 90.

Make sure and place the anemone first and let it get situated, they can kill corals when they move around.

TitansFan
08/17/2006, 08:24 AM
I personally would put the skimmer before the fuge. That way it can pull out the solids before they accumulate in the fuge. it will also get the "dirtier" water there making it perform better.

Dubbin1
08/17/2006, 09:53 AM
There is no need to use the damsel to cycle the tank. The LR will be enough to get the job done.

batguano
08/17/2006, 09:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7956816#post7956816 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eckrynock
Bat poop.....who let you out of the lounge? :D

Everything sounds good to me. I like the LR rubble compartment of your sump. I've never heard of using Fluvals as "return pumps". Don't think you will need the UV with this system. Sounds like you've got a lot of filtration already, need to leave some stuff in the water. :cool: Will you be using this refugium for nutrient export only or will you be raising pods in it? Not sure that many of the pods will make it to the main tank if you have floss and carbon in your fluvals. For the refugium, I use Melev's HomeDepot light and I get great growth! Let us know what you choose for lighting, I have been thinking about upgrading lately. I'm looking at 400w HQIs with Radiums for my 90.

Make sure and place the anemone first and let it get situated, they can kill corals when they move around.

I thought I'd get out and educate myself for awhile! :D Thanks Ed, Yeah, maybe I'll skip the fluvals and just use a return w/ a one way valve. The refugium was going to be used to fix nitrogen and to provide produce for the tangs, but I like the idea of producing pods for a possible wrasse population. Thanks for the anemone advice, didn't know that. I'll reach out on lighting when the time comes. I have a few months yet to get the rock cured and the tank cycled. Thanks again!

Move the skimmer forward in the system. I like it and I'll take a look at that. thanks TF.

By the way, Broncos, Titans the season is starting. You are looking at a NE Patriots fan here! We meet Denver in week 3 and Tennessee in week 17 according to the AFC schedule. Good Luck guys!

eckrynock
08/17/2006, 10:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7957734#post7957734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by batguano
By the way, Broncos, Titans the season is starting.

Had to change my avatar just for such an occasion! :D

As for the skimmer, I would not place it before the fuge. Let the macro and pods take care of the solids. Stripping the water of nutrients before it enters the fuge kind of defeats the purpose. You could put a filter sock on the plumbing to the fuge to cut down on detritus, but don't skim it first. I wasn't knocking the fluval idea, just never heard of it before. That much filtration does seem kind of overkill though. As long as you can run carbon somewhere, don't worry about the fluvals, especially if you're going to have a sand bed. You may want to add a couple more inches to your sandbed for a "true" dsb. A 120 is tall enough to have 5 or 6 inches of sand.

For cycling.....what Dwayne said.