PDA

View Full Version : Rookies at work

jkmargerum
08/17/2006, 07:49 AM
The wife and I, after snorkling in the yucatan, decided we would like a nice large tank. We started wtih a Ocianic 215g glass(boy was that sucker heavy). We have a 40g fuge, an ASM skimmer. We used 180lbs of live sand, and 190lbs of live rock, and a 785W Odyssea with 20,000K Metal Hailad(SP?) lamps. we cycled the water for a week, and found we could not keep the water temp below 84, so we added a JHJ 1/4HP Chiller. Then started to add fish slowly:

List of kiddos:

7 green chromis
2 Clown fish(ocean caught)
3 Yellow tanks
1 blue Hippo Tang (Queen of the tank)
1 Dragon Gony
30 Turbo Snails
32 Hermits
1 Emerald crab (Hitch Hicker LR)

Check out our photos:

There is one question that we have:

How do we know when the tank is mature enough to start adding a few corals and shrimps?

Please tell us your thoughts, we would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks
Jay and Kim
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133Tank_and_stand.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133Startup.JPG
This is a really cool oyster...
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133cool_oyster.JPG http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133Community_2.JPG

GlobaLPimP
08/17/2006, 08:10 AM
hmmm, you may lose some fish here if your tank has only cycled for a week or so. I doubt your tank has fully cycled already - but you never know. First thing you need to do is get your water parameters in "check". You shouldn't add any fish or corals until your Amonia and Nitrates have dropped to zero. Looks like you're going "REEF" so I would also get about another 50 to 100 Lbs of LR. Get and RO/DI water filtration system to make water (I hope you didn't use tap-water to fill it because it will extend the tanks cycle and also give you a big alge bloom"). You are probably going to need about 2 gallons of "clean" water per day just for top-off. Do a LOT of research on this site and ask questions BEFORE buying and adding things no matter if it is fish, equipment, or corals. There are a LOT of experts who are more than willing to help you here! Seems like you kind of jumped into this pretty quik - I know it's hard but slow down a little and you will be rewarded in the long run! I'll step back so the experts can chime in!
REEF-ON!

jkmargerum
08/17/2006, 08:21 AM
Global_PimP

Have the RO unit already, no tap water in our tank, heck we don't even drink our tap water...
Our Amonia, and Nitrates are at zero, we have been checking daily, our PH is 8.4, water temp is 78.
As far as research... we have done a lot, this is just the first post.
Our LFS brought all of the water to us, and we used TurboStart to kick off the bacteria.
All fish are eating well, and the tank is a very docile community.
Yes we are planning on going Reef, but I lost my job last week... so the tank will stay this way for a while.. need job...
Thanks for the comments.

J&K

GlobaLPimP
08/17/2006, 08:37 AM
Cool - didn't mean to offend you or anything. I just didn't see that listed. What type of RO unit do you have (a plain R/O unit for home drinking water is not good enough)? Does it have a DI filter as well? You also want to get a TDS meter (if you don't already have one) to check your water and be sure the TDS is reading zero. You are off to a great start! Sorry to hear about the job. Look on the bright side, you have extra time to fiddle with your tank now! Most beginers don't jump into such a big tank but it will be more forgiving having the extra water to work with!

jkmargerum
08/17/2006, 08:50 AM
No Offense taken...

There is so much information...I forgot to add those details...
The RO unit is just a Drinking water unit w/o DI by Whirlpool.
This is only used to top off, but we plan on an upgrade once the job thing is settled..
No we don't have a TDS meter yet... It is on our list..
Our LFS seems very experienced, and has been holding our collective fins to get started.
We went large due in no small part to all of the fourms we have been reading... Seems any tank that is having issues is under 100g. Also we found this 215g tank for a mere $542.00, so how could we resist?

J&K

GlobaLPimP
08/17/2006, 08:59 AM
Nice deal! I agree with the under 100 issues.

divecj5
08/17/2006, 09:03 AM
Hey J&K. Just wanted to say that the tank looks great and glad to hear that things are running smoothly. From the first post I was a little concerned but after reading all of the details, seems like both of you've done your "homework" and you're off to a great start. How are the yellow tangs and the regal getting along? I was looking to add a yellow and regal together but heard that could be trouble. Just curious.

Good luck with the job searching and keep us posted. Don't knock the small tanks (mine's a 55) :) JK.

Adam

UrbanSage
08/17/2006, 09:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7957312#post7957312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jkmargerum
Seems any tank that is having issues is under 100g.

I think this might be due to most larger tanks are owned by experienced hobbyists. People start out less than 100g and move up in size.

That aside, larger tanks give you more room for variation in water parameters. I am sure you know this and that is a reason for you to go big. I think it's awesome that you start out with a tank this size. You will have a ton of options in the future because of its size.

About a mature reef. I think this is a tough one. Personally I added my first xenia after maybe two months into my own reef. But I actually do not think my tank has "matured" untill just recently about a year into it. How do you know.... well.... I think it comes with experience and is difficult to explain. It is more like a gut feeling established after spending a significant amount of time with something this complex.

How old is the tank now?
Be sure to keep the Odyssea ballast box in a ventilated area. I am one of the people who had a capacitor burn down and create enough smoke to be seen a block away.
If the tank is a month or two old I don't see why you should not be able to add some shrimp.

Bippus
08/17/2006, 09:06 AM
jkmargerum,

What part of Texas are you at?

chip721
08/17/2006, 09:18 AM
Wow. Nice looking tank. And at that price I would have been hauling it home too! Best of luck in your search for a new gig. Wouldn't it be nice to just stay home and play "fish." But ...back to the real world. You've come a long way already. At this stage I'd strive to keep things stable. Get a handle on evaporation, SG, pH, temp swings, water changes, etc. Since you already have fish; if you add any uncured lr, I'd cure it in a vat outside your display tank to prevent an ammonia spike. Depending on the corals you plan to keep, eventually you'll need to start looking at Ca, Alk, and Mg. Be careful of the most common mistake most of us are guilty of ..."over-feeding". That is a beautiful tank! Can we have a peek at the sump? Keep us posted on your progress. Enjoy and wish you the best.

ericwebster
08/17/2006, 09:26 AM
Nice tank. Love to see more pics. Good luck.

jkmargerum
08/17/2006, 09:28 AM
divecj5, from what we have studdied if you want to add more than one tang you want to add them at the same time. We added all 4 together. This way they can get used to their new environment together and to each other. So far they get along great. (no bickering at the veggie clip :lol: ) They all swim together and frolic a bit and the yellows play the "lazy follow the leader." Very cool to watch. :bigeyes:
We won't be adding any new tangs.

UrbanSage, the tank has been running for about 2 weeks now. we set up the refugium, added sand and rock and allowed the water to settle for about 2 days before starting up. Added turbo start a week after startup and added the initial cleaning crew and most of the fish the next day. 2 days later we added the tangs. Once the hippo got settled (no ich.. yay! :bounce2: ) and the brown algae started growing we added a dragon goby and more snails and hermits. Now the brown algae is clearing up nicely.

Bippus, we're in Garland... close to Dallas :wave:

J&K

UrbanSage
08/17/2006, 09:36 AM
Wow... my toes are curling when reading how fast all this was done :D
Hope you wont need it, but best of luck!

jkmargerum
08/17/2006, 09:56 AM
UrbanSage
Our LFS guy has assured us, we are good to go. Also there is this funny thing called I'll kick his @#$ if anything should die due to the rate at which he planned our setup.

We are very technical folks, and we will keep a very close eye on all of the paramenters, thanks for your concern, and for the luck, as you I hope we don't need it.

Chip721
We have found our evap rate is @ 2.5g/day. Before the chiller, it was @ 4.5 -5.5g per day.

Divecj5
We are not knocking a small tank... heck we would need a lot more knowledge before we could even add to any conversation on this forum. We being the rookies are hoping the LFS(Expert) has not lead us astray.

Thanks for all of the responses

J&K

jkmargerum
08/17/2006, 10:03 AM
BTW, here's some more pics including the sump:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133Sump_1.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133Sump_2.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133Sump_3.JPG

and here are some fishy pics just because they're cool....:fish1::fish2:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1321332of3_Yellow_Tangs.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133Clowns.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133YB_Fins_up.JPG
The queen herself... I love it when her fins are up! :)
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133TBH_YT2.JPG

Hope you enjoy them..

J&K

dstall
08/17/2006, 10:08 AM
J&K,
Nice tank and what a deal!! I am about 2 months into a reef tank and loving it, but take your time... I jumped in a little fast and 2 months in i have all ready upgraded lights as well as powerheads becuase i didn't plan based on what i wanted to achieve with my tank. ie. SPS, LPS clams etc..) I currently only have 3 soft corals in the tank and working a plan based on the type of corals/fish my tank can support and literally mapping it out as to type and when i will introduce each species.

I'm on Plano so not far away from you, what LFS have you been working with?? They have helped me tremondously as have the RC forums. You will learn fast everyone has an opinion or a different way of doing things, so find a trusted advisor to way all the data....... It can get overwhelming fast!!! But it's great at the same tiem.

jkmargerum
08/17/2006, 10:15 AM
dstall,
We've been going taking advice from Tony at Aquatic Trading in Garland. His shop is on the southeast corner of Jupiter and Arapaho. We've been to a lot of LFS's around the area and although his shop is small he has by far the most impressive displays we've seen.

J&K

dstall
08/17/2006, 10:29 AM
I will have to check him out. Have you been to North Dallas Aquarium (Carollton)you'll hear there pricey but owner will work with you...or Saltwater Paradise in Irving? If you go to NDA deal John the owner.

One other thing i noticed about your tank. I have been researching chillers and i noticed you have yours under the tank and everyone has told me including the Seachill rep to place outside the stand. Reason is the heat generated by the unit and air flow required by the unit to operate efficiently. Tends to work harder vs. outside the tank. Just my 2 cents.... I believe thtats a JBJ chiller you have, how do you like it?? I'm trying to decide between the JBJ and the Seachill unit.

mg426
08/17/2006, 10:37 AM
Nice setup. Good work

jkmargerum
08/17/2006, 10:45 AM
Dstall
Some of my background is HVAC, and I have additional fans to draw air from the cabinet. I will also be ducting my inlet air source, just a very tight budget right now.
This is a fine chiller, extremely quiet. We also have 4 dogs... lots o fur, my air inlet will need to be filtered,so as not to saturate the heat exchanger with fur. Outside the enclosure is the easy, fast solution, but then you will have your inlet and return hoses also exiting the enclosure, this I did not want as well... dogs sometimes chew on things they are not supposed to...Inside the encluser with duct for fresh feed air and ehaust air is more complex, but it keeps everything inside that nice stand we paid too much for. I will post pics once all my ducting is complete.
Jay

dstall
08/17/2006, 11:29 AM
Great idea. Definitily post the pic's of the ducts' will be very interested in the set up.

theatrus
08/17/2006, 11:57 AM
Looks like a great tank! :)

/me continues dreaming of his 120g upgrade

UrbanSage
08/17/2006, 12:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7957719#post7957719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jkmargerum
UrbanSage
Our LFS guy has assured us, we are good to go. Also there is this funny thing called I'll kick his @#$ if anything should die due to the rate at which he planned our setup.

J&K

You should sell that insurance policy :D I would sign up!

jkmargerum
08/18/2006, 07:35 AM
For a Limited Time Only!!!

Insure your fishtank inhabitants...
or at least make you feel better if something does go wrong...

Upon filing a claim you will recieve a PR-24 (side handle baton) and a new pair of boots.

techreef
08/18/2006, 08:21 AM
Nice setup. Like the brick wall where you have your tank too! And the tile floor is perfect for the hobby. Did you build this house for the tank?? :)

Good luck with everything. I'm only 3 weeks into cycling my 90G tank. I can commiserate with you on the whole "I'm fitting every darn piece of equipment in this &*%$ beautiful stand!" They are expensive, but I love mine and it really finishes off the display. Yours looks great! What a monster!

jkmargerum
08/18/2006, 08:50 AM
Techreef
Well.....
That brick wall is only the fireplace, and the tile floor...(I need a better camera) is berber carpet.
Did you know you can buy berber that is made of recycled plastics? That is what mine is, no water damage, as long as you can get the pad dry, but I don't PLAN on water on the floor, but that's why they call them accidents right.
I also have plans for a "WaterBug" This little device is neat, he will set on the bottom of the stand and sense for water. Should a leak or large spill occur, he will send a signal to the PC, and my e-mail system will text both the wife and my phones. There will aslo be an audiable alarm in case we are sleeping.
Can't stop an accident from happening, but we might be able to minimize the damage, and save as muny of the kiddos as possible.
Thanks for the compliments
J&K

jkmargerum
08/18/2006, 08:53 AM
FYI
The waterbug can also be tied into your home security system, and if you have a monitored service, the service will contact you in the event of a water escape...

Jay

techreef
08/18/2006, 09:20 AM
now THAT'S cool stuff!

jkmargerum
08/18/2006, 09:37 AM
Technogeeks and fishtanks.... its a beautiful thing
:beer:

techreef
08/18/2006, 10:16 AM
I'll drink to that!

jkmargerum
08/18/2006, 10:23 AM
Techreef
you mean beer or other related brewed, or fermented beverages, and not sea water.... right?

techreef
08/18/2006, 03:39 PM
Give me enough of the former, and.......

jmguerry12
08/18/2006, 10:41 PM
Hey I was just wondering if you made that sump yourself. If so what size is it, how high up did you put the baffles it looks like you only have one between the skimmer and refugium. Just let me know it looks nice though

jkmargerum
08/19/2006, 07:43 PM
jmguerry12,

We didn't make the refugium, its a 40g EcoSystem kit with ASM skimmer, 40lbs miracle mud, 20lbs live sand, some small live rock and some algae out of my LFS's refugium. Its really starting to take off.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133Refugium_1.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133Refugium_2.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/132133Refugium_3.JPG

J&K

ecfort57
08/19/2006, 10:10 PM
That is a great set up. Noticed the Eagles blanket on the wall> I am from South Jersey is that for the Philadelphia Eagles and if so how do you get away with that in Texas.

jkmargerum
08/19/2006, 10:44 PM
In Dallas yes...

You just need to play by the rules...
I was born in Mt Holly NJ, grew up in Schwenksville PA
oh yea.. The rules... No one says anything cause...
Dog is 140lbs (rotie) plus Wife shoots better than me... And I don't shoot to badly... Remember Texas Guns, and Dogs...
We have the biggest of both....
Jay