PDA

View Full Version : a & b

somethingphishy
08/17/2006, 08:39 AM
What is a good A&B part Calcium and Alk control for a reef tank. I currently use a dry reef builder and turbo calcium but think i would like to try a something new.
In particular it would be helpful to hear from others that have made the swithch over as i am thinking about doing. What are the +/- of this switch.

miztic
08/17/2006, 09:08 AM
I like using randy's DIY receipe, it's been easy to make and works great in my tank..
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

out of curiosity, if your current additives work, why would you want to switch ?

somethingphishy
08/17/2006, 09:23 AM
it's pretty hard to maintain high levels in my tank....i have tried many things in the past....just one example, dripping seprate additives to the tank on alternating days (in leu of the constant battle of PH/ALK when you add to much at one time). ect.... Anyway my friend used a A&B product and his levels were always on the highside. Plus no more power on top of my fridge when mixing.

miztic
08/17/2006, 09:24 AM
If you're having trouble keeping Alk and CA up, may want to check your Mg level, perhaps that's a little on the low side ?

adtravels
08/17/2006, 09:45 AM
use two little fishes c-balance to maintain it all, although its weak and costs a little more.
kent CB a and b is good if you are willing to add a little mg supplement now and then.

But all depends on the calc/alk consumption of your system, and current values it can take weeks of DILLIGENT maintainance to achieve the correct levels if they are badly skewed.

One 30 gallon reef I have uses 15ml c balance a and b a day yes a day and a kalkwasser top off but does have sps lps clams snails etc,

my 55 gallon softie reef uses 5 ml kent CB a and b per day but only has organ pipe, coralline and snails as calc\alk consumers.

you will have to buy the most used, try it, monitor levels daily, and determine the amount needed per day week month etc.
by the way the balance WILL change whenever you add livestock, or tweak the skimmer, or add carbon and do a major water change.

You become a slave

but its worth it!!

somethingphishy
08/17/2006, 10:29 AM
Mg levels are at 1350
some more questions......
with a A&B do you need to add both on the same day? several hours apart? can you add them on differnt days? How long would a 16oz bottle last on a fourty gallon moderatly stocked tank? (of course this awnser will vary tank to tank)

I have Mg that i can add should i go with the cheaper KENT product?

I'm already a slave toi the tank...
maybe now with more responsibilties :)

somethingphishy
08/22/2006, 08:50 AM
bump

Paintbug
08/22/2006, 09:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7957917#post7957917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by somethingphishy
Mg levels are at 1350
some more questions......
with a A&B do you need to add both on the same day? several hours apart? can you add them on differnt days? How long would a 16oz bottle last on a fourty gallon moderatly stocked tank? (of course this awnser will vary tank to tank)

I have Mg that i can add should i go with the cheaper KENT product?

I'm already a slave toi the tank...
maybe now with more responsibilties :)

i use the homemade 2 part myself, i was using b-ionic before that. you can put one part in, the wait a few seconds and add the other. just rinse the dosing cup in between, and after with the tank water. how long a bottle will last will depend on your tanks demands. a 16 oz bottle would only last me about 1 month, i have a low demand 75g. i mixed up 1 gallon of both parts in December 05 and im still using the same batch. i may have 16oz left. and at about $5 for 1 gal of both parts you cant beat the homemade :D!!

for mag i use epson salts per the homemade recipe. it cost me about $4 for a 1/2 gal. and i barely use any of it.

somethingphishy
08/22/2006, 09:28 AM
yea i'm going to try the DIY when i'm done with KENT part a/b that i purchased. thanks for the responce