PDA

View Full Version : QT fish from a 180gal in a 35gal?

falco
08/17/2006, 09:21 AM
QT fish from a 180 into a 35?
Ok, I knew ich was in my tank but I've been feeding garlic, vita chem, and selcon with all feedings, along with having 3 cleaner shrimp I have seemed to keep it under control. About a week ago I added a purple tang to my main tank and now he is covered with ich. I know to get rid of ich I must keep the tank fallow for 8 weeks, but I only have a 35gal wich would house all of my fish from my 180 gal. I think this would cause more stress, agression and tension, then help. This is my fish list.
1 sailfin tang
1 magnificent foxface
1 blue throat trigger
1 purple tang
1 diamond goby
1 purple firefish
1 pink dottyback
2 true percs
1 neon goby

Should I just qt the purple tang or should I qt everyone in the 35?

Thanks,
Jack

somethingphishy
08/17/2006, 11:44 AM
ruby reef kick-ick----reef safe---- no need to remove the fish plus if you treat him and put him back in the untreated tank, the ich could eventually come back.

kinda expensive (just like anything else in this hobby) but i have used it 2x and had no loss of fish/corals. You need to dose it over an approx. 15-20 day period

somethingphishy
08/17/2006, 11:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7958373#post7958373 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by somethingphishy
ruby reef kick-ick----reef safe---- no need to remove the fish plus if you treat him and put him back in the untreated tank, the ich could eventually come back.

kinda expensive (just like anything else in this hobby) but i have used it 2x and had no loss of fish/corals. You need to dose it over an approx. 15-20 day period

treat the 180 with all fish in there

MrSpiffy
08/17/2006, 12:01 PM
Perhaps get a smaller QT for your more docile fish, like the firefish, clowns, etc. I would fear the same as you, that having all of those fish in the 35 would be rough on the fish, especially the smaller ones having larger ones to pick on them (particularly triggers and such). Just a thought. It wouldn't cost too much to get a second tank going, perhaps a 20G, with just a filter, heater, powerhead, and some pipe fittings for cover. It's going to cost some money, but cheaper than over-stressing your fish, and less likely to fail or cause other problems like many quick-and-dirty ick meds/treatments.

I found hyposalinity worked great for me. Make sure your fish can handle it before trying it on all of them. Otherwise, copper treatments work well, too, if you're careful.

I know not everyone has a wallet full of cash to spend on this hobby, but it's our responsibility to care for the inhabitants of our ecosystem as best we can. Do your homework, ask around, get a number of opinions and do what you feel is best for your fish, not necessarily your wallet.

Good luck!

falco
08/17/2006, 06:47 PM
thank you all for the responses. I spoke with a local that maintains a very big portion of the commercial tanks in my area and he said that he has used kick-ich on several tanks that he maintains. He went on to say that it has never harmed any inverts, but it has not always gotten rid of ich. I am going to try it and if I do not see any progression, I am going to qt everyone in a bigger QT tank ten a 35gal. I am going to look around this weekend to see if I can find a 55gal off of one of the local reefers. I'll post here on what the outcome is.

Fmellish
08/17/2006, 07:02 PM
I QTed 7 fish in a 20 gallon for 8 weeks once. They didn't seem to mind, although the biggest of them was only 3.5 inches big.

I provided plenty of plastic rocks for them to live in during the period.

Josh

wayne in norway
08/18/2006, 03:44 AM
You don't necessarily need a glass tank for QT..... it's tough to see that lot in even a 55 for 6 weeks or so.

KickIch does NOT have a good rep for actually getting rid of ich, as it contains suboptimal doses of two meds barely effective againt ich anyway