PDA

View Full Version : something besides spray paint?

johnb0184
08/17/2006, 11:54 AM
I am currently setting up a 120 and want it to have a black backing, but the problem is that it is already in the house and carrying it back up stairs is just not an option. I was going to spray paint it but do not want to do it inside. So i am now trying to figure out what else to do besides just use aquarium backing.

So now I am asking you do it yourselfers how did you do it?

Please help

Thank you,

John

Ratkiller
08/17/2006, 12:08 PM
I saw a picture of some guy with a roller once. I don't know it they sell the Krylon in a can though.

Flobajob
08/17/2006, 12:11 PM
I had the same problem - my tank is too heavy to move outside so I needed a solution that could be done indoors.

I tried window tint and that didn't work - air bubbles and cracks everywhere.

Then I thought about using a black cloth, but I would need to cut holes for returns etc, and salt damage from splashes would show too easily.

So I used non-spray paint and used a mini roller to put it on. I masked off the edges and silicone seams. It was all fairly easy to do, and as I type my tank is drying behind me. It looks good :D .

So to sum up, my advice would be to just paint it. If you use an oil based paint be sure to cover the silicone seams though, as I have heard of people having the paint damage the silicone and cause their tank to fail, resulting in a flood.

johnb0184
08/17/2006, 12:59 PM
thanks I guess that will be the route I take. I saw somewhere else where that someone used latex paint. Thanks for the advice

jjakes24
08/17/2006, 02:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7958587#post7958587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flobajob
I had the same problem - my tank is too heavy to move outside so I needed a solution that could be done indoors.

I tried window tint and that didn't work - air bubbles and cracks everywhere.

Then I thought about using a black cloth, but I would need to cut holes for returns etc, and salt damage from splashes would show too easily.

So I used non-spray paint and used a mini roller to put it on. I masked off the edges and silicone seams. It was all fairly easy to do, and as I type my tank is drying behind me. It looks good :D .

So to sum up, my advice would be to just paint it. If you use an oil based paint be sure to cover the silicone seams though, as I have heard of people having the paint damage the silicone and cause their tank to fail, resulting in a flood.

Tint should work, just have to know how to do it right. You first make a mixture of baby shampoo and water in a spray bottle. Then you spray the back of the tank and size up the tint to it trimming it down to size leaving an inch overhang with a razorknife. once you have this and careful not to crease the tint, you peel the backing of it and spray the sticky part of your tint with the mixture as you keep peeling. Smack the tint on to the back of the tank and then use a squeege starting fron the middle to press the water out to the edges. after you get it on nice and tight, trim the edges with a razor blade and allow 48 hours to dry. That is how we did cars, I would imagine its the exact same.

johno4
08/17/2006, 03:02 PM
Latex paint and a roller. you will need 2-3 coats but it will look great. Obviously paint the outside of the tank.

Flobajob
08/17/2006, 03:38 PM
The trouble with the tint is that even with the bits that looked good, you could still see through the glass - you would need 2 or 3 sheets of tint. Paint is a lot cheaper and IMO easier to use.