PDA

View Full Version : How do I control really green algae?

Dollarbill
08/17/2006, 12:03 PM
How do I control the really green algae that grows on the sand on the bottom of the tank. Will a sand sifting starfish take care of it? I think its from my lighting. Thanks for your help. db

MCary
08/17/2006, 12:10 PM
Is it really green and slimey? Do bubbles sometime form under it? Then its probably cyano. Increase flow and continue to reduce nutrient levels.

Mike

Andrew
08/17/2006, 12:12 PM
Might be green slime and that can be caused my low amount of flow, old light bulbs, or direct sunlight.

Dollarbill
08/17/2006, 12:18 PM
Ya that sounds like it. Grows like a carpet and has bubbles in it. What about direct halide light will that cause it as well or is it mostly a "flow" thing. Thanks again. db

MCary
08/17/2006, 12:24 PM
Light is immaterial. It usually forms in a new tank from nutrients in the new substrate and stagnant water areas. If you increase flow and reduce nutrients (siphon it out and throw it away is one way to reduce nutrients) one day it will just be gone. When it runs its course it disappears surprisingly fast.

Mike

Dollarbill
08/18/2006, 07:53 AM
Sounds good. What about the starfish though? WIl it eat that stuff? thanks. db

wds21921
08/18/2006, 08:06 AM
Most likely the starfish won't eat it because it's actually not an algae. It's cyanobacteria which very few, if any animals will eat. Flow and careful monitoring of nutrients will help to eliminate it.

You can physically remove it which can slowly help to control the quantity and spread of it. It will most likely come back but over time it will deminish. In DSB tanks and tanks with sand in general, flow seems to be more critical because the base is not as porous as some other substrates.

The appearence of cyano indicates in part a nitrogen cycle. This might be caused by over feeding or not enough water flow/turnover rate.
If conventional means don't remove it within 3-5 weeks then you may want to try purposely increasing the feeding slowly over a one to two week period which will force the nitrogen cycle to go through it's proper stages. Ramp up the feeding than ramp down like you would for a steroid treatment. Don't do this suddenly.

Dollarbill
08/24/2006, 07:46 AM
Ok ill try doing that. Anybody else? Thank you for your help. db