PDA

View Full Version : Should the Blue Velvet Damsel go?

Shekki
08/17/2006, 02:31 PM
So, I know some people hate damsels. I had a clown and wasn't really fond of him. Right now I have a juvenile damsel in a 75 with a rabbit, LMB, and a diadem dottyback. They seem to all get along great. Will this cahnge as the damsel gets older? Should I get him out now or wait it out.

Robb

BTTRFLYGRL
08/17/2006, 02:46 PM
I have one in my 75 with 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Arc Eye Hawkfish, Flame Angel and he is fine..He gets chased by the Hawkfish on occasion..Just depends on the tankmates..Your's should be fine [Hope I don't eat those words later:confused: ]

UH_OH_5_OH
08/17/2006, 04:24 PM
Sheki......IGNORE THAT WOMAN...SHE'S MAD ! MAAAAD I TELL YOU.

Those DAMsels are all EVIL.....they're evil; mean spirited; mailicious, vengeful...they are worse than an ex-spouse ! ! !

Rid yourself of this demonic icthyo as soon as possible if not sooner ! ! ! !

BTTRFLYGRL
08/17/2006, 05:26 PM
:eek: Who are YOU calling MAD??:eek:

My Damsel is a sweetypie:D

UH_OH_5_OH
08/17/2006, 05:44 PM
See the way she wrote that....it even has two freaked out smiley faces ! ! !

(Psssst......get security !)

Ironsheikh
08/18/2006, 02:43 PM
those neon velvets get pretty big -- I saw a book where one was kept w/ a lionfish - I think itll be alright they usually fight w/ other damsels

Sk8r
08/18/2006, 03:58 PM
I had one that reached 4" before I had to get him out...for his sake: he was too active for a 100g. They're beautiful, and they serve to keep aggressives busy. If you're going to run aggressives of size, you have to have something that doesn't take their guff and that moves too fast for the sharks. This can work. On the other hand, DON'T put anything in there that can be lunch or it's had.b

Serioussnaps
08/18/2006, 04:03 PM
My eel used to attack everything(including a trigger) but the neon velvet in a FO....when he got to the VD he stopped and the damsel put his tailfin to the eels face and the eel would run...one bad mf'er...

in your tank i dont think the damsel will mess with the rabbit or he may have another thing coming if that rabbit muscles up....the dottyback is a soldier himself...the Lawnmower blenny(this is what you meant right) could get bullied...i think you will be fine for a couple of years most likely ...he may manifest an overly aggressive personality in a year when he gets larger but fine for now..

if you want peace of mind to the nth degree then yeah remove him...but that dottyback is likely a mean booger too..you gonna remove him????

Shekki
08/24/2006, 06:26 PM
I wanted a semi aggressive tank and I guess I have one. From what I've read, there is no definitive answer about keep some cleaner shrimp with these fish.

So far, the dottyback has the upper hand on the damsel, even chasing him away from food. I think the size of the rabbit and his crazy spines keeps him at the top of the chain for now.

The damsel will more than likely stay because I don't think that I could ever catch him. He's really fast when he wants to be.

Robb

UH_OH_5_OH
08/24/2006, 10:31 PM
HEY BUTTERFLY GRL.....The States Attorney just handed down an indictment on the Blue DAMsel implicating him in the death of Johnny Lee Hooker, aka my McCoskers' Flasher Wrasse.

Jury selection (all from the Wrasse Genus) is set to begin on Friday....!

The Blue DAMsel has retained a public defender....yeah good luck with that !

maddyfish
08/25/2006, 06:47 AM
I lilke damsels, but I had one of these, and when it grew to adulthood, it was very very mean. It attacked rocks, heaters, everything. He lived out is life in bare, no decor at all tank alone.

Amphiprion
08/25/2006, 07:04 AM
While you can keep it in its small state, it may be a good idea to get rid of it later. The Neoglyphidodon damsels get larger than many species and can become a persistent problem later on. Besides, this species turns completely black when it is fully grown.

Sheol
08/25/2006, 01:18 PM
The dottyback may keep it in check. They are as aggressive as damsels from what I've seen.
However, the damsel will lose his pretty colors eventually, so you may want to consider a replacement down the road..

Matthew

Racing1
08/25/2006, 04:17 PM
I have 2 in my tank. 1 is about 4 inches and the other stays small about 1 1/2 inches. They get along with the other fish o.k. 1 naso tang, 1 Atlantic Blue Tang, Pair of Tomato Clowns, 6 Line Wrasse, and an engineer goby that loves to dig. The larger one does seem to pick at new entries but after a day he leaves them alone. I think he shows them that he is the boss... The only time I had a problem was the larger one decided to try and take food from the Atlantic blue and he gave his a swipe with his tail spike and cut a 1/4 inch gash in him... He left him alone after that and the damsel healed in a week,,,

Shekki
08/25/2006, 07:22 PM
Any ideas on how to catch him in a tank full of rocks? I've been putting the net in the tank at feeding time, but all the fish seem weirded out by it!

Robb

SS21CA
08/29/2006, 12:50 AM
Damsels are pretty mean. MY fiji damsel gaurd the entrance to my royal gramma's cave. it will attack it on site. and occasionally will go for my small clowns. The only thing it gets along w/ is my sailfin tang, and thats probably because he is half the size.