PDA

View Full Version : Tank in parents new house??

ReefEze
08/17/2006, 05:41 PM
Whats up everyone. It's been over 2 years since I was last on here! :cool: Feels good to be back...

Anyways, over those past two years Ive had to dismantle all my tanks due to living at school and such, but now I'm getting caught back up in the craze since my parents are building a new house, and I think they just might want a nice, display tank seperating two rooms.

I dont know the size yet, but so far there are only a couple main criteria:
(1) As low-maintenence as possible. (I'm thinking mostly FO, with maybe some softies etc, since my parents just want a nice looking tank with as little work as possible)
(2) Everythink works... :mixed: Again, the less work my parents have to do the most likely they will be to accept this.

(3) Starfire or not?? It is really worth the extra cost?

So I'm still in the planning stage, but any ideas would be appreciated. Lights? Plumbing? Surge Tanks ??
I know many of you have similer tanks, so any advice would be awesome.
TIA

ReefEze
08/18/2006, 11:26 AM
Okay so maybe it wasnt the most stimulating post... but does anyone remember the days when your posts weren't buried in 30 mins??

boxfishpooalot
08/18/2006, 11:56 AM
I would show them some pictures of the best of the best aquariums out there. This way they can see the potential.

As far as the work goes, you can't always be there to maintain it. The most important thing I see would be for them to at least feed the fish once a day, the other times you could feed them.

Are you living with your parents or are you just convincing them to set up a saltwater tank for their pleasure?

IndyMatt
08/18/2006, 12:25 PM
If you aren't living there, I would suggest that they don't do it. A saltwater tank takes time and up keep no matter how you plan and implement a tank. Unless they would hire someone to do the upkeep I would forget about it. You will setup the tank, it will be more upkeep than they have time for or want to do then the tank will crash because of the lack of upkeep, wasting money and the animals perish.

Now if you live there that is completely different.

Arch01
08/18/2006, 01:40 PM
THEY might want a room divider, or YOU might want a room divider? If it is something they have a strong interest in, then go for it for sure, but if they aren't into it, the tank will just become a pain in their backsides... unless they are willing to pay for someone to do maintenance.

Arch01
08/18/2006, 01:40 PM
doh.

raddogz
08/18/2006, 02:54 PM
I agree unless there is a dedicated person to take care of it "f'get about it". If they really want one (they are really nice), suggest they hire a maintenance person.

ReefEze
08/21/2006, 10:14 AM
Yeah thats kinda what I was worried about... (no im not living with them). Haha maybe it's not the best idea.

Thanks for the replies

ReefEze
08/21/2006, 10:14 AM

mleinart
08/21/2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah i still have a freshwater planted tank with nothing but a few clown loaches in it at my parents' house.. My dad likes the loaches and feeds them regularly, but i have to freak him out by telling him the fish will die in 1 day or less (they really wouldnt (usually)) to get him to change filters, change water, etc. Though I'm a bit disappointed (he's the one that got me started keeping fish when I was 11), I'm not really surprised.. I end up cleaning the tank and doing whatever maintenance is needed whenever I stop by, but I dont always have the time.

I'd agree that unless they want to hire someone to come out occationally for maintenance, or want to learn a bit about tank upkeep, to hold off unless you're confident you'll be visiting them on a regular basis (once every week or two at least?). If you could get at least one of them to be into it enough to at least clean the skimmer cup and do a biweekly water change you might be able to pick up the slack.. but both you and them will need to be prepared to deal with any emergencies that crop up.