PDA

View Full Version : Creating the best fuge

mandrin13
08/17/2006, 07:18 PM
Okay,my new addition to my reef is a 7 gallon fuge.I've been having fun with it until I realized that I have almost nothing in it.So I was wondering what would you do with a 7g fuge.

I was thinking 3-4 inches of miracle mud,and as much macro as I can get.I only have 17 watts of light right now,bbut Ill get more later.Oh,Id also have one of those purple reef lobsters.:D

ReefWreak
08/17/2006, 09:25 PM
Miracle mud is good, but I've heard that it readily absorbs phosphate, but if you don't change it every few months to years, it can leech the phosphate back into the tank.

Get some nice aragonite sand, some cheato with pods in it, and just a simple PC light over it.

A reef lobster is not going to appriciate being put into a 7 gallon fuge.

Also, what size tank is this fuge hooked into?

mg426
08/17/2006, 09:51 PM
DSB and a chunk of Chaeto.

affableamerican
08/17/2006, 10:55 PM
A DSB in a 7g fuge isn't going to be useful (sorry if you were being facetious :) ). Also, on my last tank, I regretted having sand in my fuge as I found it just served to trap waste. Much easier to siphon out junk if you leave it bare bottom, with a couple chunks of LR for a crab or shrimp to crawl around on. Add a cool, non-reef safe crab!

mandrin13
08/22/2006, 08:11 PM
The fuge is plumbed into a 55g,and the worst part is I have almost no room to reach it.I have to stick my arm in from the other side of the stand,over my sump,and then I can reach it.And even worse,Is that I have no room in my sump to get the filter sock out without takeing the skimmer out.So in about a year when I get a 90-120g,Ill have atleast a 50g sump.

davocean
08/22/2006, 09:02 PM
Not a big fan of miracle mud.
My tank was prestine for quite a while, and then one week after adding MM I'm suddenly scrubbing my glass every 3 days.
I'm with LR rubble and chaeto.
Also, purple lobster will outgrow 7 gal. really fast.