PDA

View Full Version : Deep sand base. (Question 4 advice)

STEELERFAN747
08/17/2006, 07:28 PM
Hey guys. I am currently in preparation for a new project of either a 120g or a 150g 4 foot tank. (I can get the 150g cheaper, believe it or not)
I am thinking about going with a 5"-6" sand base,(I really want to put a jawfish) but have heard that you run the risk of your system crashing after some time.
My question is have any of you had your system crash because of a deep sand base?
I will be using a 50g sump/refugium and going with watchman gobies to try and counter this effect.

Thank you in advance for your input on the matter.

God bless.

Gary Majchrzak
08/17/2006, 09:23 PM
DSB=deep sand base or (more commonly) deep sand bed.
A properly run and maintained DSB can function as a biological filter. It can also serve as a place where detritus accumulates (over many years time) causing outbreaks of nuisance algae and poor coral growth (ie: a "crash").
It sounds as though you're more interested in maintaining Jawfish than Acropora. For Jawfish you'll need a DSB. You'll also need to cover the aquarium and any other escape routes.
I would also suggest using good protein skimming to enhance oxygenation of the water.

STEELERFAN747
08/18/2006, 07:00 AM
DSB=deep sand base or (more commonly) deep sand bed.
Sorry about that, I meant deep sand bed. I was falling asleep on the computer when I wrote this.

MJAnderson
08/18/2006, 08:01 AM
Hmmm...I've never seen a Team RC person speak ill of DSBs. Are you saying an improperly DSB will accululate detritus and cause a crash or that all DSBs will?

Gary Majchrzak
08/20/2006, 05:52 PM
Any aquarium containing living things will eventually accumulate detritus if it's not removed somehow. None of the currently known closed captive filtration methods are without some kind of shortcoming. The accumulation of detrimental amounts of detritus can happen in BB systems, SSB systems and/or DSB systems. It can happen inside the liverock and/or in the sandbed. IMO & IME it's far easier to prevent detritus from accumulating in a BB system than a DSB system simply because sand makes the removal of detritus more difficult. The growth of Acropora (in particular) seems to slow down in systems containing an old DSB that's performing less than optimally. Removing and replacing part (or all) of a dysfunctional DSB can rekindle rapid Acro growth (based on the observations made by many reefkeepers here on RC including myself. Use barebottom and ortho phosphates in your search.)

STEELERFAN747
08/21/2006, 01:27 PM
Now would watchman gobies or horse shoe crabs help it out any, since they stir up the sand? ( I ask, simply because I have had both bb and sb, and I like the look of sb better).

Gary Majchrzak
08/21/2006, 03:36 PM
To maintain an optimally functioning DSB you wouldn't want a Horse shoe crab or Gobies because they'll stir up the sand bed and consume the DSB infauna.
SSB= shallow sand bed. In systems containing a SSB you don't rely on the sandbed for biological filtration. A SSB might benefit from being stirred.

Angel*Fish
08/22/2006, 07:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7983371#post7983371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
A SSB might benefit from being stirred.
But I wouldn't use a horseshoe crab - sounds like a lot more research is needed to decide what's going to be your method of choice.

I'm a bit of a lazy reefer and find that for me it's easier to keep a dsb functioning well than to ever have to even think of siphoning anything out of my tank. I'd rather change out a sand bed & start over than have to siphon. Not sure if that makes me lazy or just means I hate siphoning ;)

That said, at one point back in college I was planning on a carreer as an invertebrate zoologist. So the sand infauna is my thing, so to speak.

My point is that there are different ways to "skin a cat" and what works for you will not necessarily be the best choice for someone else. A dsb or a BB tank should not be attempted , in my opinion, by anyone who is not interested or willing to study up on what's needed fo success. Lack of knowledge (& thus improper execution) is the reason for failure with either of these methods.

And I don't mean to imply that you are not willing to the reaearch - I'm just trying to stress that done improperly, you won't be satisfied with either method