PDA

View Full Version : Hoe do I keep my refugium surface free of debris?

Reefbox
08/17/2006, 08:49 PM
My display tank flows into my refugium. Half of the water goes through my skimmer and the other half into my refugium. I always have stuff floating on the top of my refugium water. My question is "Do I need to skim the top of my refugium or how do I get the floating debris off of the top of my refugium?

Thanks for any input

drnkjunglist
08/17/2006, 08:51 PM
put a powerhead in the fuge and point it at the surface of the water, that should solve ur problem

Triggerfish
08/18/2006, 12:51 PM
chances are the surface will still partially contain the surface scum.
can you have all the drain water go through the skimmer first?

ckoral
08/24/2006, 02:58 PM
my poorman's chiller <fan on a temp control aqua logic controller> disrupts the surface of my fuge. When it is off for an extended period, it always builds up scum. It's good to know the fan will create waves and stir the surface up.

marino420td
08/24/2006, 09:31 PM
I am about to install a refugium and was wondering if this might be the case. I bought a 40 gal breeder tank and I will get it drilled for a bulkhead. Should I install a diy overflow box inside to skim the surface?

hodsgod
08/24/2006, 10:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8008149#post8008149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marino420td
I am about to install a refugium and was wondering if this might be the case. I bought a 40 gal breeder tank and I will get it drilled for a bulkhead. Should I install a diy overflow box inside to skim the surface?

It is always good to move the surface water, at some time it will reach the skimmer and will be skimmed off.