PDA

View Full Version : Neon flourescent green algae on silicone..anyone know???

courtneyclv
08/17/2006, 09:16 PM
Hi everyone,
My tank is about 7 weeks old, everything tested normal, and I don't believe I am getting too much light.

I have this bright, light lime green, glow in the dark, neon algae on the seams of my tank. It scrubs off but leaves a neon stain.

I have posted on this before and nobody knows a thing about it..or the LFS's. It is only on the silicon and there have been no medications or anything added to the tank.

b0wenj
08/17/2006, 09:32 PM
I have seen what you are talking about in my own tank. It seems to come and go so I never worried about it. Mine has been on live rock in places. I would not worry about it. In my case it has not seem to cause any harm.

DylanE
08/17/2006, 10:20 PM
usually my coraline (sp?) starts off like that, then turns purple. good stuff

tunatogo
08/17/2006, 10:38 PM
I had neon pink stain on my silicone corners of my most recent set up. I wasnt sure what to think. After a month it is almost gone. Still dont know what it is. I wanted to blame it on the silicone but it was applied from a new tube of All Glass Aquarium brand silicone.

Merredeth
08/17/2006, 10:44 PM
Correline algae comes in dofferent colors. The glow in the dark green or neon green is a form of the good stuff. I'm thinking it eventually turns purple but if it glow in the dark green I wouldn't worry about it. Any other greens may be cause for concern.

Denise M.
:beer:

courtneyclv
08/18/2006, 12:15 AM
Well that is good. No, it doesn't harm anything but it just looks silly and you can see it from far away. Maybe it is on the silicon just because it is easier to 'stick' to it?

Merredeth
08/18/2006, 08:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7963092#post7963092 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by courtneyclv
Well that is good. No, it doesn't harm anything but it just looks silly and you can see it from far away. Maybe it is on the silicon just because it is easier to 'stick' to it?

If you want to get rid of the green you can. I use one of the green acylic sponges I found in the local WalMart in the pet department. Make sure you don't use a typical dish one as they have antibacterial agents in them which you don't want in your tank.

If you very gently and carefully run the sponge over the silicone you can more than likely get rid of it.

However, you must do it carefully as otherwise you will remove the silicone as well.

Hope that helps you out.

Denise M.
:beer: