PDA

View Full Version : Getting My First Coral Next Week

nmprisons
08/17/2006, 10:18 PM
I am adding my first corals next week. Any suggestions?

Here are some tank stats:

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all 0 (and have been for a couple of weeks)
Ph and alk normal
Calcium 350 (but I am doing with B-Ionic and it is going up 25ppm/day and so it will be about 400 by the time I add corals.
I am currently dosing B-Ionic and will start dosing Iodine and Trace when I add the corals.

It is a 25 gallon flat back hexagon with 2x65 compact flourescent lights.

Circulation consists of a rio 800 return pump and a rio 600 in tank (there is another pump attached to my protein skimmer). I am considering the placing the two rios with two maxijet 900s.

I plan on recreating a shallow Indo-Pacific reef with LPS, mushrooms, zoas, etc. Where would be a good place to start coral-wise?

Thanks a lot

TKByrnes
08/17/2006, 10:31 PM
I wouldnt add iodine. most salts have enough in it. i had a horrible problem when i was adding it (recomended by my lfs) everything in my tank is doing great without it. also ditch the rio's. I have seen alot of people on here loose the whole tank because of them burning up and killing almost everything in the tank.......

Otherwise i think your ready to add coral. what is the first coral going to be???? I would try some zoa's or mushrooms. JMO good luck!!!

TKByrnes
08/17/2006, 10:34 PM
here is one of the threads about the rio's

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=908592

nmprisons
08/17/2006, 10:35 PM
gotcha, my lfs suggested the iodine, too. i don't add anything i can't test for so maybe i will buy the test kit first and see if I actually need it.

nmprisons
08/17/2006, 10:39 PM
I really like these:

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=432

it is a type of brain coral ... would that work or should i start with something easier to care for?

TKByrnes
08/17/2006, 10:44 PM
I think something a little easier IMO. i know when i first started the only think i could keep was some zoa's and mushrooms. just remember take it slow. paitience (spelling) is the key in this hobby!!!