PDA

View Full Version : More interested in equipment?

Cody Ray
08/18/2006, 02:00 AM
I have come to a conclusion after about 5 years in this hobby. I am more interested in the setup and equipment than the livestock! I love cleaning the skimmer, replacing bulbs, doing water changes, and buying new equipment even though what I currenlty have is just fine. I have had soo many different setups and systems and all just to buy new equipment! Anyone else feel like I do? :D

mta
08/18/2006, 06:22 AM
You took the words out of my mouth.
My wife caught me downloading pictures of skimmers and other filtation devices.

doxyman
08/18/2006, 06:54 AM
You're not alone. :D I've always been an equipment freak, and the high(er)-end stuff is what really interest me.

hangles
08/18/2006, 07:16 AM
YES I'm a teckno freak also ! the equipment is so fun to tweek and tune. getting everything just so :cool:

marinelife
08/18/2006, 07:24 AM
But to like it more than the livestock in the tank, that's crazy

Electrobes
08/18/2006, 07:34 AM
Oh man, finally we're coming out! I switched from Freshwater to Saltwater because of the Equipment AND the Chemistries (I usually hate chemistry).. it being so much more fun to learn than the more simplified freshwater systems. Skimmers, Kalk, Kalk Reactors, Halides, T5's, Refugiums, Pumps... God I love this hobby!

I actually didn't REALLY get into the livestock until just recently.. I mean I've kept them since I started.. SPS, LPS, etc... but when you look back at all those equipment pics and then accidently see your baby coral and the size it is now.. it flips a switch! I will definitely say that my over-curiosity of equipment made me a muuuuch better reefer by far! :)

Samala
08/18/2006, 08:14 AM
I thought this was the whole reason that the reef hobby is so attractive to guys?? :D

I hate equipment. I need to marry someone who will worry about all the gadgetry for the reef and will help haul my SCUBA gear to the boat on the weekends.

>Sarah

Steve01
08/18/2006, 10:14 AM
Hey, good topic....I never thought of it until you mentioned it, but what do most people post pictures of on the board? Yup.... their equipment. The big tank, the cube, the new set-up, the plumbing masterpiece, the amount of gunk in their skimmer. We rarely see a picture of "my prize angelfish". Even with posts containing shots of awesome coral specimens ultimately wind up discussing the equipment and water chemistry that produced the result. You are right, this hobby is about the equipment for most people. Maybe it's because hobbies are for tinkering and occupying our time, and equipment is the only thing we can tinker with. Tinker with your fish and they might just bite you.

hangles
08/18/2006, 10:27 AM
Hey Sarah !
any guy here on RC would love to meet a lady that loves this hobbie like we do ! :D

boxfishpooalot
08/18/2006, 12:03 PM
well, Im interested in the equipment too. But if i had just a tank with water,no life, I would not care what the equipment does.

I guess I feel like a doctor. Fixing problems with equipment.

Next on my list:

infrared heat gun thermometer(to measure coral surface temp)

hand held spectrometer( the quality of light)

light meter (lux)

digital flow meter ( to tell if sps are getting the flow like nature)

Cody Ray
08/18/2006, 02:42 PM
I've found that many SW hobbiests have other hobbies that involve expensive equipment (computers, cars, RC cars, etc ;) )

Ne0eN
08/18/2006, 02:52 PM
Whoa, you actually can put fish and corals into our reefs? Interesting concept! :lol:

-- Rob

meschaefer
08/18/2006, 03:10 PM
HA.... my mother used to make fun of me when I was a kid that no matter what sport I played, I wanted the position with the most equipment. I played baseball and had to be the catcher, I played hockey and had to be the Goalie.

Whith my current hobbies, my wife complains that I have a garage filled with gadgets.