PDA

View Full Version : Need Filtration Help

Kiel'thalin
08/18/2006, 09:53 AM
I am in need of getting my tank setup correctly, i.e. getting the filtration staightened out.
1st my setup
46 Gallon Bow-Front with 55lbs live rock/30lbs aragonite substate.
(1) Emperor 400 Mechanical Filter (bio-wheels removed).
(1) CPR BakPak Skimmer (Orginal model, not the 2R).
(2) Maxi-Jet 1200's for the water flow.
(1) Aquactinics 5 Bulb T-5 Setup.
Stocked with 6 fish: Sailfin Blenny, Green Mandarin, Ocellaris Clown, and (3) Green Chromis (going to return the 3 Chromis, mandarin, and the Blenny).
That is all the equipment I have and I do not have a sump or a cabinet to put one in, that leaves me to get HOB items.
I only feed every 2-3 days with flake.
After 10 weeks I am still having problems with Hair Algae and I found something that was kinda odd with running PhosGuard Media. At 1st I just ran it for a month straight. When I did my water change, the PhosGuard media was brown and I was still detecting Phosphates. After my last water change, I decided to follow the instruction on the bottle (go figure). Well, after day 4 I changed out the media with new, then waiting another week (yesterday) to change it out again. When I pulled it out this time I noticed that the excess water that had dripped out of the media was a nasty brown. Probably what my skimmer missed and what the carbon/polyfiber filter missed since the PhosGuard is placed after the Carbon. I can only assume my skimmer is in-adequate for my tank? After much research I plan to get a Deltec MCE600 HOB Skimmer with an Aqua Medic Ozonizer (25mg/hour). Once I get this I will remove my Emperor 400. Do you think this will help out my problem or am I just wasting my time? Or do you think setting up a HOB refuge (that will keep the cost down) will be a better bet in the long run? Any advisw would be appreciated. Thanks.

BurntOutReefer
08/18/2006, 10:34 AM
IMO, take a look at the source of the problem first , instead of looking for a cure.

1) Are you planning on Fish Only? If so, then get a UV "filter".
2) How long is your light on for?
3) Whats the quality of the water you are using?

BurntOutReefer
08/18/2006, 10:36 AM
ohh.....and maybe invest in some crabs (hermits etc ) to eat the algae

Kiel'thalin
08/18/2006, 10:56 AM
I have pretty much addressed those issues:
1) I plan on adding corals when the algae goes away
2) I was running 10 hours a day after the 1st month, now it is cut back to 7 hours a day.
3) I us RO/DI water optained from the LFS along with Pre-Mixed Salt to use during water changes.
4) My cleanup crew consist of:
Snails: 15 Astrea, 2 Cerith, 5 Nass, 2 Bumblebees, and 4-5 HitchHiking Stomatella.
Hermits: 10 Dwarf Blue Legged and 5 Scarlet.
I plan on adding about 10-15 more Astrea's.

As you can see I am at a loss and this is kinda my last resort. Seeing the brown water coming from my Media after it passed through the Carbon leads me to believe my filtration is not stabilized or my Current Skimmer is Worthless since it really doesn't pull anything out compared to other skimmers I have seen. I do get a thick skimmate output, but not in comparision to other skimmers.