PDA

View Full Version : starfire glass in Nano's?

thorsen
08/18/2006, 03:04 PM
I had to sell my 120 gallon aquarium because I'm traveling a lot and will be moving within a year. I am going through the grieving process, and I think part of the road to recovery for me is to start planning a new system:) I would love to go big but the trouble is is that I'm not really stable as to where I live yet and I think I might be able to successfully transport a small tank from place to place if need be. So my next thought was why not set up a really nice small tank. I was thinking somewhere between 10-40 gallons. I am looking to order a tank, but my question is does anyone do starfire glass in the 10-40 gallon range or is it really not an issue since the glass is so thin anyhow? Also I would like a built in overflow, and I haven't seen many small tanks with built in overflows (I don't want one of those already put together Nano cube's I want to make it myself).

Brian5280
08/18/2006, 03:29 PM
I've never heard of starfire in a nano but I don't know a lot. What is the point of starfire? Is it stronger or clearer than regular glass?

lynetteww125
08/18/2006, 03:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7966548#post7966548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thorsen
I had to sell my 120 gallon aquarium because I'm traveling a lot and will be moving within a year. I am going through the grieving process, and I think part of the road to recovery for me is to start planning a new system:) I would love to go big but the trouble is is that I'm not really stable as to where I live yet and I think I might be able to successfully transport a small tank from place to place if need be. So my next thought was why not set up a really nice small tank. I was thinking somewhere between 10-40 gallons. I am looking to order a tank, but my question is does anyone do starfire glass in the 10-40 gallon range or is it really not an issue since the glass is so thin anyhow? Also I would like a built in overflow, and I haven't seen many small tanks with built in overflows (I don't want one of those already put together Nano cube's I want to make it myself).

If you decide to go the route where you don't build it yourself, check into the M-Tanks by Finnex. I have a 12 gal Aquapod by Current USA and it has a built in overflow.

Otherwise, you should be able to design your own with an overflow built into it. Just do some research online on the topic.

Wendy

phenom5
08/18/2006, 03:43 PM
What is the point of starfire? Is it stronger or clearer than regular glass?

starphire is a brand of low-iron glass. if you look at the edge of regular glass it looks greenish/ blueish...that's because of the iron in the glass. low-iron glass has lower amounts of...yup, you guessed it, iron. this improves the clarity of the glass.

thorsen,
as for your question, from what i've heard, starphire isn't worth it on smaller tanks because the glass is typically thinner.

i would check out glasscages.com, i'm sure they'd build you a tank whatever size you'd like with whatever type of glass you'd like.

HTH :thumbsup:

GobyJohnKenobi
08/22/2006, 12:25 AM
I agree about Glasscages or the new Glass M-Tank is Very Nice and probably cheaper than a custom from Glasscages.

Agu
08/22/2006, 07:47 AM
There was a nano posted here that was all starfire glass. Nice looking tank but I'm not sure it improved clarity all that much since the glass is so much thinner than on a large tank.

Putting in a built in overflow can't be too hard, I did it ;) .

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/2DSCN1582.jpg

Here's how to make a simple internal overflow,

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=770718

If you're not experienced working with acrylic a lot of vendors will prefab the overflow for you. Just be sure to shop around, the prices vary a lot.