PDA

View Full Version : best salt mix?

mr. bojangsjang
08/18/2006, 05:07 PM
What is the best salt mix to use? I have been told instant ocean reef crystals is the best, is that true?

sir_dudeguy
08/18/2006, 05:14 PM
thats basically like saying "whats your favorite car" lol. Theres been tons of this same question going around, and the most popular is definately Instant ocean i'd say.

Reef crystals is definately a good salt. I think that tropic marin might be better, idk...I've found that a lot of times people get different results with different salts...some like to use a cheaper salt because it may have more of some additive, while others dont like having as much of that additive (something like calcium) so they stick with other salts.

then there are some salts that dont have any added elements or whatever you want to call them, where stuff like reef crystals i believe does have most, if not all, of the elements that you need...i cant remember for sure if reefcrystals has all the elements, but there was one salt that had everything i think...just cant remember..

but yes, reef crystals by instant ocean is a good, solid brand name salt that many find to be very good.

Ciarán
08/18/2006, 05:29 PM
Little known but lauded as THE best salts for replicating natural conditions:

http://www.coralfanatics.com/coralfanaticsimages/meersalt.jpg

http://www.coralfanatics.com/coralfanaticsimages/coralsalt.jpg

The only retailer outside of Europe that i am aware of is Coral Fanatics (http://www.coralfanatics.com)

sir_dudeguy
08/18/2006, 06:40 PM
yes thats the one i was thinkin of but couldnt remember the name. I saw it in a magazine...i think Coral magazine? i cant remember, but i do remember it was pretty expensive, and claimed to have like EVERY additive or whatever you wanna call it.

garvondavis14
08/18/2006, 07:06 PM
sharky's reef sells the meersaltz, and calls it the 4th ranked salt mix...where would we find these rankings of salt mixes?

sir_dudeguy
08/18/2006, 07:23 PM
in my opinion...rankings are just that...opinions, unless there are actual stats to back it up that is. if theres stats w/all the info on all the salts, then rank away! :)

CastleRock
08/18/2006, 07:43 PM
tropic marin pro great mix IMO

Serioussnaps
08/19/2006, 02:23 PM
have you read the S-15 or somethign that sounds like that report........they give all you need to know and rank those salts pictured above as the bestt.......they are also the makers and sellers of that salt too so be wary...

i have noticed IO is low in ALK, CA , and MG

they should make salts for differnet tanks for example

SPS salt, FO salt..etc etc....that would be awesome but it aint happening....no matter what salt you use you will have excesses or deficiences...gotta find the right one for you.......

i would use Tropic Marin or Tropic Marin Pro Reef if someone in my area would supply it,,, but for now its IO and making up for the deficineces....may start mixing it with oceanic

Farrmanchu
08/19/2006, 04:20 PM
I use Instant Ocean, but I add Mg and Ca.

Ciarán
08/19/2006, 05:19 PM
Someone here did a Reef Crystals assessment and posted it in the Reef Chemistry forum, from what i remember it came out a Ca: 420 ppm Alk: 11 dKH and Mg about 1300ppm or similar

CaptainPicard
08/19/2006, 06:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7972274#post7972274 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ciarán
Someone here did a Reef Crystals assessment and posted it in the Reef Chemistry forum, from what i remember it came out a Ca: 420 ppm Alk: 11 dKH and Mg about 1300ppm or similar

I think it depends on the batch, i test every water change and i use reef crystals. Here's the info on a 30 gallon change.

Salinity 1.025
Calcium 350
Mag - 1200
Alk - 8.3
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
PO4 - 0

All Tests done with Salifert Test Kits.
Using RO/DI water with a reading of 0 TDS.

Looking at these parameters I dose Mag, Calcium and Alk to get it to Mag 1350, Calcium 440 and Alk 9.0 within a 2 day period.
Waiting on my lfs to carry boron tests as Seachem's salt mishap made me real nervous.

ERICinFL
08/19/2006, 06:43 PM
Try this link.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/seasaltmixes/l/aa090503b.htm