PDA

View Full Version : Caulurpa Problem... PLEASE HELP!

revance
08/18/2006, 05:08 PM
Ok, So I have had some pesky grape caulurpa growing in my sump that I haven't been able to get rid of but have just pruned out every once in a while as best I can.

This time something went wrong...

A huge piece got sucked into the return pump where it was chopped up into lots of tiny pieces and blew a slury of green water and little grapes everywhere. My tank is still under construction and currently has no lights over it and no livestock yet.

What should I do to make sure this stuff doesn't infest (and "infest" is putting it lightly) my display??? Should I cover the tank to block out all light? If so, how long would it take to make sure all the caulurpa is dead? I figure it is best to do something about it now while I still can.

Any help is appreciated.

DANNY G2004
08/18/2006, 05:48 PM
make sure you have some tangs in that tank just incase they start growing.

revance
08/18/2006, 06:15 PM
There will be a couple tangs, but I don't really want to rely on that. I would rather eliminate it now while I can.

Does anyone know if not having lights is enough or if I need to completely cover the tank and how long I need it to be dark?

erc111
08/18/2006, 08:37 PM
I had some caluerpa in my fuge for a while and then I removed it, or so I thought.
I wasn't seeing any.

At the time I had a 6 in sohal in my 120.

After a while the sohal got too big and I removed it without replacing it with another tang.
The caluerpa exploded and the YT I put in later could not keep up.

I ended up tearing the tank down and starting over, scrubbing and cooking the rock, except for rock with zoas/mushrooms. I didn't see any caluerpa(sp?)on that.

The the small amount of livestock went into a temp. 40g.

When i moved the rock and stuff back to the 120 I had some small pieces of calerpa still.

I added a hippo immediately.

Now I see none.

I do have chaeto in the fuge.

revance
08/18/2006, 09:45 PM
well, I would really like to attempt to get rid of it before adding livestock. I have heard that caulurpa isn't good to feed fish.

How long did you cook the rock? I have the convenience of being able to cook all of it. I'm thinking that if I cover it now, the spores and little shreds of it won't be able to get established.

erc111
08/19/2006, 12:11 AM
I cooked the all rock i could, about 200 lbs for 3 months.
I still had some cal that came back.

I also had some aiptasia that survived.

And I had some zoas that made it too.

I even bleached a rock with lots of cal and a few zoas.
The bleach killed the cal but the zoas survived

3 months in a covered can, only 3 water changes and the stuff lived.

Amazing, if you ask me!