PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Placement??????????????

D-Rod
08/18/2006, 07:36 PM
I know You can answer this one,
When placing LR do you place it almost touching the back wall of the tank or do you give your livestock room back there?
:)

Thanks

D-Rod

swimboy123
08/18/2006, 07:44 PM
Different people have different theories but one thing is for sure. DON't place your rock against the glass. And secure your rock or place it in a way that it fall against the glass if one of your fish, snail, etc move it. There is nothing worse than the entire contents of your tanks ending up on your floor.

2fishy
08/18/2006, 07:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7967978#post7967978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D-Rod
I know You can answer this one,
When placing LR do you place it almost touching the back wall of the tank or do you give your livestock room back there?
:)

Thanks

D-Rod

I gave 'em room back there, not a lot but enough for the fish to swim back there. That way they have a place to run and hide!:) My Pygmy Angel go through the live rock from one end to the other, weaving in and out as if it were an obstacle course! But it does give your fish more areas to hide, and allows the cleaners to get behind the rock also.

Jester
08/19/2006, 09:25 AM
I've tried my hardest, multiple times to get my rock so that it will make a form without tocuhing the back wall and I can never do it... maybe its because I have a smaller tank and not too many big pieces of LR... but I started my larger pieces of rock out near the center of the tank and then worked its way back as I go higher in the tank, so that some of the top pieces do rest on the back glass wall, but the lower section is off enough to allow the fish to swim back behind...

Jester

Ne0eN
08/19/2006, 09:33 AM
You also want to have some space behind the rocks to allow for water circulation back there. You don't want any dead-spots.

-- Rob