PDA

View Full Version : My clown jumped in the overflow, now what do I do?

fishykid9212
08/18/2006, 07:43 PM
My clownfish is in the overflow and I don't know how to get it out. nets wont fit and he doesn't come to the top to eat, he stays at the bottom. It's a 92g corner tank so its a pain to get to. I don't know what to do, I'm ready to leave it in there and buy a new one. Any ideas?

gfk
08/18/2006, 07:48 PM
could you pull out your durso and make him get sucked down into the sump?

DKKA
08/18/2006, 08:04 PM
Maybe if you can get a large enough diameter hose in there you could suck him out? Just a thought, I haven't actually tried that method.

I have had clowns, and other fish in my overflows. They usually don't want to eat at first, but after a few days they'll start venturing to the top when you start adding food. In one case I used a very small net and kept it in there for a few days until he got used to it, then started putting the food into the net until he was used to being in there and all I had to do was lift.

I recently had a rabbit fish go into the overflow, I chased it around for a while with a flashlight and the thing jumped back out of the overflow into the tank.

Dan

Fishmama
08/18/2006, 08:07 PM
I went to a craft store and got plastic mesh to cover the top of the overflow after I rescued my jawfish. It seems to work pretty well...

fishykid9212
08/18/2006, 08:09 PM
all these things sound good, but the pipe that the water flows down, does that un screw or just pull out?

itZme
08/18/2006, 08:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7968163#post7968163 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishykid9212
all these things sound good, but the pipe that the water flows down, does that un screw or just pull out?

If you mean inside the overflow and it is an All-Glass with stock overflow and durso it should just lift out. It is sometimes a bit difficult to get it back into the hole but it can be done.

If you mean the tube on the outside of the tank underneath it could be either glued or threaded.

HTH
-- Kevin

fishykid9212
08/18/2006, 08:18 PM
I looked underneath to see if I have to just pull out the durso pipe, and now the stupid thing is starting to leak, what do I do? I just moved the durso a litle I didn't unscrew it or anything, the water is dripping down under neath the tank? :mad:

carman9941
08/18/2006, 08:42 PM
I just had this happen with one of my anthias I used a brine shrimp net to get him out

fishykid9212
08/18/2006, 08:46 PM
Yeah I have come to the conclusion that I need to buy a small net tomorrow, I fixed th e leak and once I get the net, I'm good to go. :)

Arch01
08/18/2006, 08:47 PM
Can't you just stick your hand in there and pick him up? This shouldn't hurt you or the fish.

As for your leak, tighten the bulkhead a little or twist it a bit and this may stop it.

Arch01
08/18/2006, 08:48 PM
You beat me to it, but I would just reach down and grab him.... assuming you can reach to the bottom.

fishykid9212
08/18/2006, 09:00 PM
I can't reach to the bottom because it's a corner tank and plus the over flow is triangular and I cant really move my hand once it's down there.

tomsc
08/18/2006, 09:19 PM
If you have a AGA tank, you can pull the over flow tube out and the fish will go down the flow drain and into the sump tank were you will be with a fish net.

Good luck.

scrmbld33
08/18/2006, 09:22 PM
this happened to me last week, if you can fit a net in therey do that or the quickest way is shut the return off, put a net under the drain, and pull the drain pipe out and hell drain into the net, i recommend sticking a small net in there though

fishykid9212
08/19/2006, 06:39 AM
Im going to try to get a small net, I tried pulling the drain pipe out yesterday and it started to leak, I could ha ve done something wronge but Im not going to try it again. Thanks for everything, I'll let you know when I get it out.

carman9941
08/19/2006, 08:54 AM
I forgot to add I also used a piece of pvc to keep him from going back behinde the other stand pipes also had to have my wife help because of how tight of a fit it is

curtisvill
08/19/2006, 09:01 AM
This has happened to me. Be patient. Your clown will want to eat sooner or later. Feed the clown in the overflow with the net near by. He will slowly become comfortable with the entire situation. It may take a few days but eventually you will be able to catch him without any problems. Be patient. He will not get hurt living in your overflow. Do not stress him out chasing him. Time is on your side.

godoggo
08/19/2006, 09:06 AM
I have a 54 bow front with the same set-up , although not as hard to reach. Siphon out as much water as possible out of the overflow, then you should be able to catch him with a small net without hurting him.

When you re-assemble your stand pipe, clean the threads really good - then wrap with tape - even the smallest piece of sediment will make that leak

Good Luck!

fishykid9212
08/19/2006, 12:53 PM
Well I bought the net this morning, and when I got home he wasn't in the overflow:eek: He was in the sump :p I went out and got the net for nothing, he must have fit throught those small spaces in the drain pipe and went down. Oh well at least I got him alive :) thanks you everybody for the help