PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry basslet with one big eye

jester805
08/18/2006, 07:49 PM
Hey guys-
I have a 75 gallon tank with about 60 pounds of LR and 80 pounds of LS. I have a 20 gallon sump with an AquaC Remoa Pro skimmer.

My livestock is:

1 Spotted Cardinalfish
2 Clowns
1 Foxface Lo
1 Strawberry basslet
1 Mandarin
Misc. snails & crabs
Longspine urchin
Pincushon urchin

Just tonight my strawberry basslet has one bulging eye. It looks really swollen and white all around it. Is this something I should be worried about?

My levels are:

Nitrate: 20 (always been around there)
Nitrite: 0
Alkalinity: 300
pH: 7.4

anabolic_1
08/18/2006, 07:56 PM
You sure your not looking at the wrong end of the fish??? Sorry, I couldn't resist! I think it should be fine, it will heal. My fish beat the c*** out of each other all the time. At one time I put an Eibli angel in my tank, the damsels were not happy, they egged him on like you would not believe! Until, the angel fought back!!! the one damsels eye was about the size of Rhode Island....it healed up fine.
GL
Mike.

jester805
08/18/2006, 07:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7968091#post7968091 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anabolic_1
You sure your not looking at the wrong end of the fish??? Sorry, I couldn't resist! I think it should be fine, it will heal.

Haha! Maybe I am looking at the wrong end! :D I just noticed it tonight and he fends for himself really well. He even chases after my Foxface (who is fairly new in the tank).

Thanks for the help!

anabolic_1
08/18/2006, 08:10 PM
Those little basslets can hold there own......you will notice that when the basslet goes after the foxface the foxface will raise its spines and aim them at the basslet! Good luck with your fish! It should be fine in a few days. I had a basslet and a gramma in the same tank at one time............that was interesting! The second the gramma came out of the rockwork, the basslet chased it back in.........life on a reef!
Mike.