PDA

View Full Version : buying a clam ?

Ehgemus
08/18/2006, 11:00 PM
I would like to buy a clam, what kind should I buy? and what do I need to know about them?
I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank with 1-250w MH light, that should be plenty of light. right? and I know you need to feed phytoplankton for the clam, and I already grow that for my other corals.
thanks for any help.

mg426
08/19/2006, 12:15 AM
I would think thats light would be ok for any type of clam. Crocea are the most light loving. you can keep it up on the rocks if you need to.

Avi
08/19/2006, 05:54 AM
Clams will grow pretty quickly and they use a lot of calcium in that process so monitor the calcium regularly. Your lighing should be enough. When you place it on the substrate, and look down from above, the colors should be bright and pronounced. If they aren't, move the clam upward on the rockwork to a place where it will be in brighter light and not in danger of falling.

liquidlunch
08/19/2006, 06:37 AM
A derrassa is considered a "starter" clam. I picked my first one up last month and it's doing great under VHO lighting. I also have a kalk reactor to maintain my calcium.

Ehgemus
08/19/2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
So I should be good on lighting,
what about feeding are you suppose to spot feed them phytoplankton or just feed the tank? also what else do they eat?
also how do clams reproduce?

liquidlunch
08/19/2006, 09:00 AM
From what I understand, they require spot feeding when they are young and then rely less on food and more on light as they mature. Mine is 3 inches and I do not spot feed. I probably should but I don't...he's doing fine.