PDA

View Full Version : Going on vacation

djbigk
08/18/2006, 11:19 PM
Would it be possible to keep the lights off for 4 days? I am going on a short vacation..leaving Sun morning and coming back Wed morning. I do have my neighbor coming to feed the fish, but im not sure if I trust him doing the lighting as well.

What would you guys suggest? This is actually in my 55gal though, I have a few damsels, a coral beauty, clown fish, Open Brain coral, hammer, frowspawn, some shrooms, xenia and 1 small colony of zoo's.

Do ya think 4 days is too long? or could this help rid of the hair algea? Any input is appreciated.

hot4teacher
08/18/2006, 11:30 PM
Walmart $5 timer. (The kind one would use for Christmas lights). For something so inexpensive, it makes your life a lot easier to get one.

ASaleem91
08/19/2006, 12:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7969185#post7969185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hot4teacher
Walmart $5 timer. (The kind one would use for Christmas lights). For something so inexpensive, it makes your life a lot easier to get one.

I would definately reccomend you to buy a timer...

alexk3954
08/19/2006, 12:24 AM
Its going to cost a lot less to buy a timer than to replace all of that coral if they die from no light. I would also reccomend a timer.

hot4teacher
08/19/2006, 05:55 AM
Hmmm. There could be several causes for the hair algae...running the lights too long could be one factor, but there needs to be another factor (water quality to include overfeeding and perhaps nitrates).

The timer could help on those days that you might have to work late or aren't around to turn them off/on.

IndyReefMan
08/19/2006, 04:30 PM
Most would recommend timers be used all of the time, not just on vacation. It will provide more consistent lighting schedules for you reef. It will also make life a little easier on you.