PDA

View Full Version : hair algea and dying coral

68ss396
08/19/2006, 07:39 AM
Hi,
I am posting in question on major hair algea growth and dying corals. about a month ago I lost a plate coral. also cant keep snails alive. now my mushroom is separating from his anchor. my zoanthids are covered in algea and my brain coral is losing tissue. water parameters salin 1.024-1.025, calc 400, trate 8-9, phos .4-.6, ph 8.3, alk 7. cant figure it out.

HowardW
08/19/2006, 08:29 AM
Well that phos level would help explain your hair algae. Also, have you checked the water for ammonia?

68ss396
08/19/2006, 08:44 AM
amonia tests 0. trite 0, trate 8-9. phos at .4 still too high?? the algea is growing very aggresivly.

HowardW
08/19/2006, 08:59 AM
I would start doing 15-20% daily water changes and also start using a good carbon like Seachem Matrix and see if there's any improvement. I would also start carefully manually removing as much of the hair algae as possible every day and begin using a good phosphate media like RowaPhos, Phosban, or similar.

Hard to say exactly what's going on without more detailed info really.

68ss396
08/19/2006, 09:23 AM
I am using a phosphate media. have not used any for of carbon because the lfs said not for use in my tank??? what info?? all of the water parameters appear to be normal. clean the filter e/o day, repalce weekly. phosphate and nitrate sponges in media bags under tower. no the bio balls are no longer there, removed a year ago. clean skimmer twice a week. suplement 2 caps calcium a day. two caps iodine and coral-vite weekly. bulbs are approaching 9 mos old and yes due to replace.
What will carbon do for my tank?? I have just started using MARINS SAT which is supposed to help according to the lfs but i think its just another 25.00 gimmik,

Ne0eN
08/19/2006, 09:37 AM
Are you using RO/DI water? Check the TDS. Should be less than 5.

-- Rob

68ss396
08/19/2006, 09:52 AM
Yes I am using ro water for top off. use kent osmo prep for re minerization and add buffer 1-2 times a week. what is TDS??

Thefilterguys
08/19/2006, 10:35 AM
Are you using stright RO water and where do you get it from? TDS is total disolved solids which may be fueling your hair algae. Where are you located in Minnesota?

Jim

HowardW
08/19/2006, 12:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7970433#post7970433 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 68ss396
Yes I am using ro water for top off. use kent osmo prep for re minerization and add buffer 1-2 times a week. what is TDS??

It's not really necessary to add anything to your topoff water, just plain 0 TDS RO/DI water is fine.

TDS=Total Dissolved Solids

68ss396
08/20/2006, 07:52 AM
I live in Brooklyn Park and get all of my salt and ro water from Something Fishy in Richfield. They are the ones who said I must re-mioneralize the top off water. How would I control the TDS in the water using for top off and how can it contribute to the algea??

HowardW
08/20/2006, 08:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7974837#post7974837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 68ss396
I live in Brooklyn Park and get all of my salt and ro water from Something Fishy in Richfield. They are the ones who said I must re-mioneralize the top off water.

Not true, the water that evaporates from your tank is pure water and does not contain minerals.

Thefilterguys
08/20/2006, 08:39 AM
Howards right don't add anything to your water it's just fuel. Evaporation takes nothing out pure DI water puts nothing in. I think you may have other issues fueling the algae also. Lots of people use SF water so I'd say that's not it but it is only RO. When you get tired of carrying water it's time to go to your own RO/DI system. If your other fish will except him I suggest a little Fox Face Lo they are the best algae eating machines I know. They will eat all kinds of algae including Bryopsis which tangs won't generally touch. Check out Ocean Deviotion in Savage and look for Ed or Keith they run an excellent shop.

The next thing is TCMAS have you been to a meeting or do you know of the club. Excellent group of people and lots of help, next meeting is the 27th.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Jim

68ss396
08/20/2006, 09:36 AM
I got a lawnmower blenny last week and he doesnt seem to want to touch the algea. afraid if I put more fish in I would over load. I currently have 2 osc. clowns, the blenny, a goby and 7 small damsels.

Thefilterguys
08/20/2006, 10:41 AM
Lawnmowers are a cool fish always enjoyed them but they are hit or miss as far as algae I think they are selective. Give him a while and see but a SMALL Fox Face is your guy. You could still add one but your overload of damsels could be an issue from the stand point of mean. But I guess we don't call our fox face spike for nothing as he's shy but warns the other fish.

Jim

Ne0eN
08/20/2006, 11:23 AM
A Kole Tang will get rid of your algae in no time. Also, hermit crabs are great at this task.

-- Rob

Thefilterguys
08/20/2006, 12:05 PM
I just read back a little more cut your supplements I see iodine and some other things which may be killing your corals which health sounds like an issue. Can you get us a picture of your tank and the algae? A question which was already asked is do you do water changes or just topoff?

Jim

68ss396
08/20/2006, 12:57 PM
20% changes e/o week. normally siphon sand but with the algea I have been trying to use a tooth brush to break down algea and suck it out while draining. than re fill with fresh salt water. top off with regular ro. do not use kalk.

68ss396
08/20/2006, 01:07 PM
I also just bought another canister pump/filter today. I was planning on just using for another mechanical filter and increase water flow but would carbon or anything else help??? I seem to get mixed reviews on carbon and kalk use. anyway this Fluval 350 came with all kinds of bio filtration in it and carbon. I was planning on ditching that for now?? what do you think??

ol'dude
08/20/2006, 03:56 PM
I totally agree with Jim. Quit adding supplements, period. It will take some time even with water changes to get the water back in balance. IMO, iodine is especially a no-no.

HTH

Thefilterguys
08/20/2006, 04:18 PM
OK stop the bubble machine and listen STOP all suppliments first. Second no carbon for now some carbons contain phosphates lets no add to the problem. Your doing water changes great one thing lets find out the TDS of your RO water you need a meter.
Another thing with out a doubt feeding is a source of fuel I don't even have to ask.

Your Lawnmower isn't going to do the job and niether are crabs and snails. If your losing corals it more then just the algae. The heat in the Cities has been hot if your tank is going over 84 degrees regularly that could be a factor. The fish that's going to rid you of algae is a Fox Face LO. I don't have a single Duluth club member who is unhappy about having one.

Jim

ACBlinky
08/20/2006, 09:42 PM
I agree with the above. Keep using your PO4 & NO3 media, keep the filter clean, do a bunch of back to back water changes, and quit adding the coral-vite, iodine, etc. for now. Calcium and buffer aren't hurting anything, add enough to keep your Ca and alk where they are. I'd also cut your feeding in half for a while. If you can set your skimmer to pull wetter skimmate, that should help as well.

68ss396
08/21/2006, 07:28 PM
stop the bubble machine?? i am not sure but i think I get it. OK, stop all supplements. The only reason I bought the addition canister filter is for the added filtering over the tricle and to increase water flow. NO CARBON. OK. I tested phosphates again and test @ .2-.4. Ph still 8.0-8.2. Trates still falling with decreased feeding. Down to 6-7ppm. Feeding has been cut to 1 cube am and a small pinch of dried in pm. I will check into fox face, most fisc are less than 2 yr old so I dont think I will be overloaded. I did a 20% change yesterday. All parameters test so good. My Brain coral still questionable, slight tissue loss but I dont think he will make it. THe frogspawn, torch, star polyp and mushroom all seem to be okl. THe toadstool fully detatchewd from his upper terrain and fell to bottom. I have him laying on another rock and it is the first time in a week I have seen kis tentacles start to protrude. I will keep you up to speed. I hope not to lose the brain. Only 1 side damaged, can he be split. Maybe a really stupid question but have to ask.

Thefilterguys
08/21/2006, 08:03 PM
Stop the bubble machine just means you spinning out of control. It's going to take a while to see real results but lets get things stable. You brain is unhealthy trying to frag it is only going to make it worse. Brains do recover but its a long so process so keep an eye on it. Think about attending the TCMAS meeting on Sunday it will do you good to meet some fellow reefers. Another water change at the end of the week would be good.

Jim

68ss396
08/22/2006, 07:12 PM
I figured as much woth the bubble machine. what can I say, a 700 horse big block is childs play but the intensity of the reef is somethin else.... I plan on a water change thursday and sunday of 20%. I have stopped all supplements as of the beginning of the quest last week other than calcium and buffer. I have removed the glass top. I added the additional canister filter/pump as I would have wanted anyways but keep it only for another mechanical filter and flow. no chemicals. I do not think the brain will survive, every day a little more tissue damage but all else seems to be doing good. The algea seems at this point to be subsiding. at the last water change I us4ed a toothbrush to scrub off while sucking through the hose so there would be no floaters and have seen no growth increase but a small decline. I hate to lose another coral but I would be much nore unhappy if all of the soft corals died and I lost fish. Last check shows ph a l;ittle nore stabel with top off and all other parameters doing fine. Phospherous still .4-.5 but declining.
Where os the TCMAS meeting?? I probably missed the info running to work, home, lgs etc... Can you give me any siitional info?? Club affiliation etc..
Jim, thankyou for all of the help and info. I am really looking forward to keeping al of ny friends with me. This littel hobby has turned into a passion just like hotrods and I only eant the best.Nothing frustrates me more than making mistakes and having these little guys suffer due to it. I really appreciate your help. Being in Duluth I hope that maybe some day we meet either at a meeting or other.
Mike

Thefilterguys
08/22/2006, 08:31 PM
Follow the link for meeting information they like to have a handle on who attends so ask us not to just send information on our own. Not unusual to have 30-60 people to show up. It gives you a great chance to see others peoples tanks. Let me know that you get the information.

Jim

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61800

Thefilterguys
08/22/2006, 09:18 PM
Had to do some last minute shipping but now I'm back. If you come to the meeting I will bring you a sample of Warner Marine PHOSaR which should do the job on your phosphates. Some of the other products are very slow to reduce the problem.

Jim

68ss396
08/23/2006, 06:44 PM
got the info Jim, thanks again.