PDA

View Full Version : question of substrate

cb9tunerguy
08/19/2006, 10:23 AM
im sure questions along this line have been asked a million times. i am trying to decide which substrait to use in my 20 gal im setting up. i am thinking about the caribsea fiji pink reef sand or the caribsea grand bahama biome. i am leaning twards the fiji pink. i plan to use some type of aragonite substrate. it will be roughly 2-2.5 inches deep. i am not interested in using any type of play sand in this tank. i also was thinking of using Kent Marine BioSediment in my sump. does anyone have any experience with any of these products? please give my your opinion and if you have any good pics of any of these products in your aquarium that would be helpful too.
thanks!

george1098
08/19/2006, 11:30 AM
I don't have any experience witht those particular products, but I do have caribsea argonite in my tank. It is verry fine and looks great under bright light. I don't think i would like pink sand. Pink and the ocean just don't really fit for me, but its your tank. Pretty much all the caribsea stuff is great. I've never heard of the kent stuff.. I just use a 6" DSB of crushed coral in my sump

Ne0eN
08/19/2006, 12:10 PM
Another thumbs up for CaribSea products. used in 3 different tanks with excellent results. Also wouldnt think pink sand would look natural.

-- Rob

1SickReefer
08/19/2006, 12:18 PM
FiJi pink sand

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/jbirdjjones10/ss_cs_sffp_sample.jpg

george1098
08/19/2006, 03:05 PM
maybe its not as pink as we think....stink

reef_doug
08/19/2006, 06:15 PM
I have the pink mixed with the Arga Live. It's not really pink at all, basically white sand with a couple specs that look like coraline.

I would get it, it's a little blander than the MarineDepot picutre.
I actually wished it had more color than it did, it's pretty plain as it is.

Good luck,
Doug

cb9tunerguy
08/19/2006, 08:30 PM
thanks everyone for your input. i think im gonna try the fiji pink. the kent substrate sounds interesting to me. its designed specifically for Refugiums. here is a link that explains about it.
http://www.kentmarine.com/saltwater/mb.html

xtrstangx
08/19/2006, 09:07 PM
I used Seafloor Grade Special on my new tank. Its a bit larger of a grain size so it doesn't blow around, but its not large enough to grow coralline algae or be considered crushed coral.

slevesque
08/19/2006, 09:30 PM
Hi, I see you are considering using a 2-2.5" sand bed. I'm not talking from experience here but from what I learned while researching on Deep sand bed vs Shallow sand bed . One inch or less with very fine sand, like the oolitic from Caribsea, is good. then 5-6" or more with Fiji Pink size sand is good as well. It allows for good denitrification. Anywhere between 1 and 5 inches seems to be a dangerous zone. You might want to research on the topic before taking your final decision.