PDA

View Full Version : Blennies and Gobies?

petoonia
08/19/2006, 12:43 PM
Does anybody have any suggestions on gobies or blennies? I would like to add some to my tank eventually. Right now I have 1 coral beauty, 1 percula clown (Juvenile) in my 65g. So far Im looking at a yellow clown goby, but havent decided yet. Blennies seem like an interesting addition as well. I have a bare bottom tank, so I cant do anything that needs to burrow into sand. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

robgardner
08/19/2006, 12:55 PM
i am also looking into blennies and gobies right now...small gobies like G oceanops(neon goby) are brightly colored and interesting as well as being parasite cleaners...a lawnmower blenny is a good choice (helps with film algae) i'm not sure if some of the "watchman " gobies need substrate, but need at least small caves...with a barebottom tank u must be careful not to buy any sandsifting gobies/jawfish...they will starve... some gobies will attack ornamental shrimps that u have...the clown goby is a good shoice...although some corals are irritated by their perching in the coral head...they particularly like branching acro/monti hope that helps

petoonia
08/19/2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the info. Not to worried about corals, were mostly going to stickw/ fish, and inverts. Maybe a few shrooms. Not much else. I will definately avoid anything that needs sand. Thanks!!!

All Delight
08/23/2006, 02:45 PM
i like red lip blenny and tail spot

seaduck
08/23/2006, 02:55 PM
I have a catalina goby that is doing good, 2 weeks so far. Very colorful. It is eating good on live brine shrimp right now. I'm trying to get him to eat other stuff too. My new yellow clown gobie has not eaten in several days so i'm beginning to worry about it. Acts interested in the brine shrimp but hasn't eaten it yet.

FishyLover
08/23/2006, 03:09 PM
I've had a bunch of clown gobies in my last tank and they all died so I obviously don't have the greatest luck with them. I like yellow watchman and pink spotteds.

Red scotter blennies are pretty cool too. I really liked my lawnmover blennie. But someone took a bit out of him and he died a month ago, but he did a WAY good job cleaning my tank. He left little kiss marks on the glass:) His name was Willie... haha.

Sk8r
08/23/2006, 03:12 PM
Tailspot blenny is a hoot---doesn't take any guff off the yellow watchman, but doesn't bother anybody either. The highfin redstripes are beautiful and funny: their name is stonogobiops nematodes, but we call them Raspberry and Teacake. Dartfish like firefish get along with them well. Kind of watch the fanged blennies: the combtooths like the tailspot, lawnmower, and molly millers are more sedate. I'd also like a pair of the yasha hase gobies, but I don't know how many prawn gobies you can put in before they start having wars. I like them [for scale ] in my 52g, because they're like big fish in a larger reef, and they have a lot of activity. I have one blue chromis who keeps things moving without hurting anybody, and also have one mandarin.

EvilMel
08/24/2006, 09:42 AM
You shouldn't get a catalina goby unless you have a very cold tank (seaduck yours is probably at the limit of tank temp that I'd recommend for a catalina goby).

I hate to sound like a broken record here, but have you checked out the greenbanded gobies, red head gobies, or neon gobies? Those are all really cool and add very very little to the bioload (virtually nothing). For blennies, I love the midas blennies and the bicolor blennies.

robgardner
08/24/2006, 01:39 PM
they are coldwater fish...catalinas....usuall 60 deg is what they want...he will perish if kept hot