PDA

View Full Version : Just staked out my tank - scary stuff

Ciarán
08/19/2006, 04:34 PM
OK hopefully pics will follow; but after adding 5 Kg of LR to finish stocking a 20G, i decided to stake out the tank in complete darkness and no moolight as i often do. Equipped with a torch and a red t-shirt to put over it i looked in at 2AM.

I found over a 15min period:

A 4" teddybear/gorilla crab
A huge fireworm
A brown zoanthid eating nudibranch
What looks like sundial snails

The Nudi and snails are gone but the other two are at large, its scary what you find on LR. Now if only i could get that crab to Tim - Supermantis...:rolleyes:

weld1jac
08/19/2006, 06:23 PM
I did the same thing and found some kind of flat crab living in a large section of live rock. He never comes out and is super skiddish. Makes me nervous---however I got this piece of live rock from a friend and he never knew there was a crab in there the whole time it was in his tank (almost 2 years)!!! So far so good!!

ACBlinky
08/19/2006, 07:02 PM
It's frightening what you can find in live rock sometimes. In addition to all the little things (pods, worms, feather dusters, a tiny crab), I've discovered a mantis, a huge predatory flatworm, a 6" bristleworm, two chitons (1/2" and 1.5"), a 4" peanut worm, and a nasty little red-eyed xanthid crab... all emerged nine months or more after I added the last piece of LR. Sometimes I think it's best not to look :D

timespinner
08/19/2006, 07:40 PM
I have either a pistol shrimp or a mantis that I can hear but I can never find... it always starts its clicking right after the lights go out.

hot4teacher
08/19/2006, 07:50 PM
I dig the Teddy Bear Crabs. Not sure if they are harmful to anything (your snails maybe), but cool to try to find and watch.

Dana

The Floodinator
08/19/2006, 09:46 PM
LR is one of the things that make reefing so fun. You never know what you'll find. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but I have never been bored staring at my tanks looking for new things.

Duchess
08/19/2006, 10:12 PM
If your crab is a Teddy Bear crab that is found in Marshall Island LR, he will kill fish. I had one hide in my LR for nine months and then get big enough to kill my Fireball Angel (cousin to your Flameback Angel) and my LMB before I could catch him.

Good luck!

outy
08/19/2006, 11:41 PM
timespinner ive had that for 6-8 years and never saw nuttin

nothing but clicks in the dark

Ryanqk
08/20/2006, 04:10 AM
I must have a pistol shrimp or something like it in my tank, i hear an occasional SNAP in my tank from across the room but never seen the culprit

boomsticks
08/21/2006, 09:36 AM
Mantis are usually active during the day, at least mine is. Very rarely do I hear him at night. Must be a pistol shrimp if you are hearing the "pop" at night.

thor32766
08/21/2006, 10:27 AM
yes they are more active during the day. Mantis have holes and at night actually close up the holes for the night to protect themselves from predators. pretty intelligent creatures.

ReefEze
08/21/2006, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7973540#post7973540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Floodinator
LR is one of the things that make reefing so fun. You never know what you'll find. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but I have never been bored staring at my tanks looking for new things.

haha couldnt agree more. I pulled over 30 crabs out of a 75g with 60lbs of TBSW LR.... I think they must;'ve been breeding in my tank :rolleyes: