PDA

View Full Version : flame scallops

jaynel78
08/19/2006, 05:36 PM
does anyone keep a flame scallop in their tank, i just got one today and i wasw curious to know if anyone else had one

Chunks
08/19/2006, 05:55 PM
Theyre really sensitive to water perameters, and can die pretty easily. I had an electric flame scallop for a while, but it died with a bunch of other stuff when my roomie dropped a can of soda into the tank :sad2:

iCam
08/19/2006, 05:56 PM
For the most part, flame scallops have a very poor survival record in home aquarium. I would opt to return it if you can, as the amount of planktonic food required to sustain it would probably cause nutrient problems, especially in a nano.

Krazy
08/19/2006, 06:05 PM
I've got a flame scallop, but its in my 72...

seems to be doing well !

Illuminati
08/19/2006, 07:36 PM
I had a co-worker who had a regular flame scallop in her 29 gallon. I know for a fact she was not a stickler on keeping up her tank (FOWLER until recently), actually in my opinion if she can keep it alive anyone can keep it alive. Maybe bump up the volume of your water changes.
It did die on her when her Choc. Chip Starfish ate it

How big is your tank

Good Luck

AIMFish
08/19/2006, 09:47 PM
Often referred to as a Rent-A-Pet, as iCam mentioned, it needs more than you can feed it.

Rsk8r4lif
08/20/2006, 01:55 PM
I had one for about three months, one of the first things i had in my 10g nano, it did alright but then it wedged itself in between two rocks and i couldn't get it out w/o destroying my rock work. I kept trying to feed it but it was hard and eventually it died.