PDA

View Full Version : Macro Algae good or bad in display tank

VoodooChile
08/19/2006, 07:19 PM
I know many people use refugiums (I don't have one yet). I got some macro alge from the reef store today and put it in my dispay tank. I don't have alot of corals and only one fish (6 line wrasse), 6 hermit crabs and 6 snails in a 40G. Is macro-alge good or bad cuz I have read that when you use algae in a refugium it's sugested to use reverse lighting. I'm new to this reef thing but have had FO marine tanks for 12 years so I know tangs and some other fish will feast on it but I don't have any of those fish in my reef tank. I need to hear the good and bad so I can make up my mind. : ) The alge is Grape Caulerpa and another more leafy.

Aquabucket
08/19/2006, 07:31 PM
I have always had some nice red macros like gracilaria, galaxaura, dragons tongue and some green chaeto behind my rockwork. I never place any species of caulerpa because they can become very evasive and quite dificult to control. Macros are a good form of ortho phosphate export and a haven for pods. You might want to reconsider your choices so far for something with less potential to overtake your corals. If you don't plan on stocking many corals you might do ok but why not leave your options open and stock some more desirable species?

piercho
08/19/2006, 07:44 PM
There are a couple of Caulerpa specie with grape-like clusters. Typically, C. racemosa is called grape Caulerpa. It is a well-known Caulerpa that spreads laterally across the substrate like an Ivy vine. If you ever want to remove it once it gets established, it is notorously difficult to eradicate from a tank.

Caulerpas are fairly resistant to grazing. A few grazers will preferentially graze Caulerpa.

Generally, C. racemosa is OK for a tanks that don't include branched SPS coral like Montipora or Acropora. C. racemosa can be difficult to keep out of the branches of coral, and will damage them if it gets in them. They should be harvested if they get near any coral and not allowed to grow over coral.

Caulerpas are capable of a lot of nutrient uptake. Caulerpas should be hand-harvested frequently to prevent "going sexual". There is a lot of other information/opinions on Caulerpa, try searching Reefkeeping magazine.

The other algae - the "leafy" algae - could be a great many things. If you can get a good picture it might could be identified.

VoodooChile
08/19/2006, 07:56 PM
Well maybe I should take it out of my reef tank then cuz I want to get some branched SPS coral. Maybe I'll put the macro alge in my FOWLR tank. It would probably be a better fit since there are no corals and more nitrate. HMMM

Aquabucket
08/19/2006, 08:07 PM
I think that would be a wise decision on your part! Good luck!

VoodooChile
08/19/2006, 08:10 PM
The lighting in that tank is not very good though. Do you think it would do okay with so so lighting?

Aquabucket
08/19/2006, 09:19 PM
The best way to find out is to give it a try!

VoodooChile
08/19/2006, 10:31 PM
Gotcha. I put it in the other tank. I also just tested the nitrate in the FO and it's pretty high even though I did a water change this week. I'll see how well this stuff works. My reef tank has undetectable nitrate at the moment so the algae would be much more disireable in the FO tank anyway. Thanks.