PDA

View Full Version : Pairing questions

spineshank385
08/19/2006, 09:29 PM
I purchased two captive bred percs about a month ago from the LFS. One of them was the biggest in the tank (of about 20), about 2-2.5" long or so. The other is 1-1.5" long.

The smaller one (male i hope) found the BTA about a week ago (finally). At first it was only him in the anemone, but 2 nights ago i noticed that they were both in it when the lights went out. During the day, it was only the male again.

If they are both hosting in the same anemone, is it safe to assume they have paired off?

And is it normal for the male to guard the anemone during the day while the female is out roaming around?

ezhoops
08/19/2006, 10:25 PM
You know what they say about assuming. You can confirm their a pair when they mate and it sounds like their on the right track.

Typically one clown will host the anenome and the everntually the other will join.

You will know you have a male when you see him shivering to the larger female in submission.

55semireef
08/19/2006, 10:33 PM
If they are both hosting in the same anemone, is it safe to assume they have paired off?
No. My female Clarkii will not let my juvi clarkii come close to the anemone but as the lights are going out, she lets him get closer and when all the lights are off (including the room light) they both sleep in my Bluecarpet together. Still they have not paired off.

TearDrop
08/20/2006, 10:59 PM
That's a good question. I was wondering the same thing.

55semireef
08/21/2006, 04:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7979516#post7979516 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TearDrop
That's a good question. I was wondering the same thing.
Whats a good question. If you are referring to If they are both hosting in the same anemone, is it safe to assume they have paired off? well they are not technically a pair. There are other thing behaviors you have to recognize also.

spineshank385
08/21/2006, 10:11 PM
would the smaller one nipping at the larger one's pectoral fin area be another behavior?