PDA

View Full Version : A good plan beforeadding water and lr?

woodstock '69
08/19/2006, 09:56 PM
Bought my tank. I do things very slowly. Will buy my skimmer and everything else mid September.

Would it be a good idea to give the tank a month or two to cycle with only water and live rock (I am in no rush) and keep an eye out for mantis shrimp, or fireworms, or other things that a complete newbie would rather not have in his first tank.

Then I could remove them as I saw them (also using low light late at night) without disturbing any corals or fish. I could easily remove rocks if necessary to scrub, dip, pull, or whatever action was appropriate. I could use traps, or if I see aptasia I could "nip it in the bud" so to speak.

I know it sounds like I am making a big deal about nothing....... on the other hand, it wouldn't hurt anything either, and when confronted with problems down the road, I could eliminate some of these items right off the bat because I knew I had already gotten the bad things out?

Michael

TitansFan
08/19/2006, 10:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7973610#post7973610 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woodstock '69
Bought my tank. I do things very slowly. Will buy my skimmer and everything else mid September.

Michael

I would wait until you have done the above before I added water and live rock. Its good to have flow and skimming for live rock. You said you were prepaired to take it slow...

woodstock '69
08/19/2006, 11:32 PM
I was not clear..... my bad - yes I will buy the skimmer and all equipment in september. Then add water, substrate, and set up the skimmer. Then a few days later add all the rock at once.

Michael