PDA

View Full Version : How much can I add at one time?

mfp4073
08/19/2006, 11:06 PM
I have a 20 gal that crashed and is getting close to being recovered. In the meantime I moved everything out to a "rescue" tank. The water parameters are getting close....probably by next friday it will be completely cycled. My question is how much can I acclimate at one time? Can I just do it all at once or should I put it back in in stages? I have some mushrooms, several small zoos, 2 small fish, 2 cucumbers, green star polyp, and a few other small things. Its not a huge stock, but its not just a few small things either.

sir_dudeguy
08/19/2006, 11:37 PM
i would say you could probably do it all at once. but if you really wanted to be safe, go with your corals and inverts first..wait a week, then put the 2 fish back in. YOu have to make absolute sure tho, that the tank is completely cycled.

kass03
08/20/2006, 03:59 AM
Every time you add something to your tank the good bacteria have to catch up to the load so I would add the hardiest corals first such as zoa's, star polyps.
I would just start with one or 2 and wait a few days. If they look good then a few more. Testing the water as you go.
I would add the cucumbers and fish in the last stages.
Fish last because then you have to feed them which adds to the load also.

kass

DgenR8
08/20/2006, 07:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7974429#post7974429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kass03
Every time you add something to your tank the good bacteria have to catch up to the load so I would add the hardiest corals first such as zoa's, star polyps.
I would just start with one or 2 and wait a few days. If they look good then a few more. Testing the water as you go.
I would add the cucumbers and fish in the last stages.
Fish last because then you have to feed them which adds to the load also.

kass

I'm thinking just the opposite. Depending on what kind of "small fish" I'd Put the fish in first (possibly one at a time, depending on size), but not before the tank is cycled out completely. The fish will add the biggest load, and cause the bacteria to grow in population to deal with that load. After a week or two of no sign of elevated Ammonia or Nitrite, your corals will be safe there.

mfp4073
08/20/2006, 01:29 PM
I got one pink skunk clown and one dusky blennie.....small little guys! But cute as hell!

sir_dudeguy
08/20/2006, 01:52 PM
also corals dont really count as part of the bioload like fish do...fish actually make waste..corals just use up calcium and stuff like that i believe, but they dont actually add waste that i know of.

dgen has a good point tho. One thing tho...once you think your cycle is done, you could throw in some food and that may be a good indicator of if your cycle is really done or not...if it creates amonia, then it obviously isnt done...if just nitrates, it should be done, and that food may also be enough to get the bacteria to grow more..just an idea :)

DgenR8
08/20/2006, 04:24 PM
Actually.......
Corals are animals, they do eat, which means they do produce waste. Obviously, in far less quantities than your average fish, but they do create waste.
Those two little fish should be fine to add together, just be sure that the tank has cycled down to the point where both Ammonia and Nitrite are a flat zero. ANY reading on either, and your tank is not ready for the fish.
Watch Ammonia for a week or so after adding them, and if there is no measurable spike in Ammo or Nitrite (both stay at a dead Zero), you can add your corals. It should be no problem to add them all at once.