PDA

View Full Version : urchin floating after water change HELP?!?!

funman1
08/20/2006, 01:50 AM
Just did a water change and did not notcie when I drained the tank some the urchin was out of water for 10 mins or so.

now he just floats all over the tank with the water flow.
He's still moving his tentacles so I know he's alive, should I put him under some rocks till he sinks again?

It's a pumpkin urchin.
Thanks
~Steve~

ERICinFL
08/20/2006, 08:55 AM
Hmmm... he should sink on his own. Try letting it latch onto the glass and see if he's able to move down on his own.

funman1
08/20/2006, 09:43 AM
Well I put him under some rocks all night hoping he would take on some water..

No luck, he still floats this morning?

Ever since I have had him he never seems to be able to latch onto the glass very strong.

Voltekker
08/20/2006, 10:07 AM
Its never happend with my urchin im not sure what you could do. He isnt holding onto the rock at all ?

miracles38
08/20/2006, 10:31 AM
I have heard that urchins are not suppose to be exposed to air. He must have air caught inside somewhere.

funman1
08/20/2006, 03:43 PM
yeah he can't hold onto the rocks at all.
Is there any way to get the air out of him???
Where are there holes, the top, bottom, sides, all the above??
I know there's some kind of hole in the bottom ofr his mouth but don't know if it's sealed or not.

ERICinFL
08/20/2006, 04:07 PM
Try holding it upside down and see if that helps. Give it a little shake or something to try and work any potential bubble out.

Ciarán
08/20/2006, 05:35 PM
Blast with a powerhead might move things along perhaps?

scubasteve247
08/20/2006, 05:43 PM
yeah try holding him upsidedown

da colts
08/20/2006, 06:31 PM
urchins can't be left out of water, if he gets air into his mouth(known as aristotle's latern)it could kill him, he needs to be upside down to allow the air to escape.

funman1
08/20/2006, 11:15 PM
ok problem fixed..
I left him upside down for 1/2 hour with nothing.
So I held him upside down and then used a broken toothpick (broken so it's not a sharp point) and VERY gently pushed down on his mouth all the air came burping out.

He now sinks like he should, but does not look to be in great health. He has all his spines but just does not seem to be moving them as fast as he used to. I put him near a large patch of alge on the glass, and we will see how he recovers from his ordeal.

To those who have these and drain part of their tanks for water changes, watch out for these little guys. Very easy to overlook.

I will keep this posted on his health, if he gets better or takes a turn for the worst.

Thanks for all your help.
~Steve~

pufferpoison
08/21/2006, 12:56 AM
is he still alive?

funman1
08/21/2006, 06:40 AM
Right now he's alive but does not look good at all.
I'm not sure he's going to make it through this.
:(

da colts
08/21/2006, 06:44 AM
air in their mouth can really mess them up. when we sell them at our shop we always place them in a bag under water, if they come in contact with air , then we place them upside down until the air is out of them. it sounds like yours had air in him for a while.....

funman1
08/23/2006, 12:03 AM
Well the urchin died
:(
The hermits cleaned out the shell last night, I guess it was a really expensive meal for hermits.

Guess it was too little too late.

However hope this thread will serve as help for anyone else who has this problem. I searched the entire site and found nothing on this. So if someone does have this problem, just turn upside down and GENTLY press on it's mouth. The air will bubble right out. I think if done right after the air got in it could survive.

Mr31415
08/23/2006, 02:00 AM
Sorry to hear...