PDA

View Full Version : Questions Re Treating Bleached Shrooms

mad921
08/20/2006, 08:59 AM
First off, this being my first post, hello and thank you to everyone for this great resource.

I'm new to reef keeping. I have a 12 gallon JBJ Nano Cube. It's the regular 2 WPG model (it was a gift from someone who didn't know better and Ill likely upgrade the lighting with a kit from nanocustoms shortly), and has been running for 4 months now. I just started adding corals recently. The very first one I bought was a colony of mushrooms from the LFS. They were a very light pink when I bought them which I assumed in my lack of knowledge was normal. After some learning though I now realize that they're bleached and will need to be babied to regrow the symbiotic algae which provides them with their pigment.

My question is how. All of my corals are soft, which I understand need to feed. As such I've been adding 5 ml of DT's phytoplankton every other day and I've also been feeding a frozen food by H2O Life every other day marketed as coral specific which contains roitifers, cyclops coepods, phytoplankton, and spirulina. I've also been supplementing with Seachem Reef Complete (calcium, magnesiun, and strontium), Seachem Iodide, and Kent Corel Accel (vitamins, and some fats and lipids). Is that too much...too little? Is there something more or different that I could do better? I'm a true newbie.

Parameters of my tank are Salinity 1.022, PH 8.1, KH 15, Temp 79, Nitrate 0-trace prior to WC, Ammonia 0. Other corals kept are 2 colonies of zoas, a cabbage leather, a Kenya tree, some GSP, and another shroom.

Here's a pic of the bleached coral in question:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/mad921/algae003.jpg

They are in an area of direct light (though obviously not bright with only 2 WPG) in the low/middle portion of the tank and low/moderate flow.

Thanks in advance for the help!

edwardbotha
08/21/2006, 01:23 AM
hi mad, good u asked. shroms as very easy 2 keep (if your water quality is good) looks like u have Discosomas witch u do mot need 2 feed. they take nutrients out of the water ang use light 2 live. they need moderate 2 light circulation and low light. 2 much light can let them loose colour, as well as 2 little. place in bottom and darker areas. give withe ones time, they should revover.