PDA

View Full Version : Cycling

SaCe
08/20/2006, 11:29 AM
I recently sold my 90 gallon tank and downsized to a 46 bow. I used some of the substrate and live rock from it to save costs of setting up the new one. I also restocked it with new substrate and live rock as well. Now I'm cycling.

My question is, is longer better? I'm in no hurry to start adding anything, because I want to get it fully seasoned. Is there any problems with cycling too long? I have noticed the mushrooms and polyps that were on some of the live rock from my old tank are doing very well.

flycasterjosh
08/20/2006, 11:43 AM
Hi There,

It depends. If you say "Some" of the original rock and sand from original, does that mean you didnt put any new rock,etc in the new set-up? If all used was the original stuff from the larger tank you should be good to go. Test your params and go for it.

-J

csb
08/20/2006, 01:14 PM
Agreed... check your params. If ammonia is 0, and nitrite is 0, then you should be fine. Cycling longer without any bioload isn't going to help the tank at all. The bacteria that you are trying to establish, and thus the ecosystem "cycle" that you want to grow stronger, is only able to do so with a bioload. If anything, once the tank is ready, start with a light load and increase it slowly as the tank matures. Letting it "cycle" longer only means that you run the risk of running out of bioload in the rocks, and the result would be diminished bacteria colonies from a lack of food (ammonia).

Remember... the end of a "cycle" only means that the bacteria have balanced with the bioload - aka, stuff dying on the rocks. It doesn't necessarily mean that there's no more stuff in the rocks providing ammonia... Since you started with cured rocks, you probably didn't actually have a "cycle" anyway ... better get some bioload in there! (if the params are good to go)

--csb

SaCe
08/20/2006, 03:58 PM
Makes sense. I probably should add a couple things then. It's been cycled for a couple weeks. I just wasn't sure if longer is better.

Now it's time to make decisions.

Thanks for the advice!