PDA

View Full Version : ETSS foam

all-apologies
08/20/2006, 12:02 PM
I have an etss 600 older model skimmer. I was wondering what some peoples normal break-in times were.

As of now my skimmer is bubbling but there is no foam whatsoever coming up out of the tube. I put enough 1.5" bio-balls in the tower to fill it halfway. The dude i got it from used smaller biobalss which i took out. I did this cus AE-Tech said to use 1.5" bio-balls

I have the water level in the tube at about 1.5"

It's been in the sump (external) for about 2 days.

My only concern is that there is no foam at all, i figured there would at least be a little

I have a 125 with about 80 lbs. live rock.

quan325i
08/20/2006, 12:30 PM
What kind of pump are u using? I have an ETSS 800 with Iwaki 50RL and it took me almost 1 week to dial it in using the outlet gate valve.

QN

all-apologies
08/20/2006, 01:30 PM
i've got a via aqua 3300 throttled back a little. It puts out about 1000gph at 0' but at 1'8" it is still to strong. I have the gate valve wide open and the water comes up the tube about 1.5". Right now im just adjusting it with the ball valve i have on the pump. I know it is not good for the pump but i don not have room for a bleed valve.

Do you have your 800 on the 75?!!

Did you have any foam at all when you first ran it?

quan325i
08/20/2006, 03:14 PM
I have the 800 on my 100g and the first week there was very little foam formed. I think you have to give it sometime to break in and do not throttle back on your pump.

all-apologies
08/20/2006, 03:34 PM
I don't let my pump run wide open for two reasons.

A- when wide open, the water level in the foam tube comes up to almost the collection cup

B- The instructions say to keep it a 1-2 inches above the skimmer box

should i still let it go??

jkapit
08/20/2006, 05:27 PM
I don't let my pump run wide open for two reasons.

A- when wide open, the water level in the foam tube comes up to almost the collection cup

B- The instructions say to keep it a 1-2 inches above the skimmer box

should i still let it go??

I think what they are saying in the instructions is that the water level when the skimmer pump is off should not be much higher than the mixing box. But when your skimmer pump is on, the dense white bubles should fill most of the first section of acrylic tube up to around the first flange.

Then when it finally kicks in, the foam will climb up the riser tube.

These are good skimmers, once it kicks in it should product a good steady foam.

all-apologies
08/20/2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks jkapit-

You corrected my thoughts, i hae adjusted this after re-reading the instructions. Thank you**