PDA

View Full Version : Just Black and white pers

Gordonious
08/20/2006, 01:03 PM
Has anyone seen or know where I can get black percs. What I really want is very young black and white one, or two. Not black and white and a big orange or yellow dot on their nose. It seems their orange on the tips of noses is getting smaller and smaller, but was wondering if anyone had seen any pure black and white percs.
Was also curious if that orange would appear later or possibly disappear later as the young clown reaches maturity.

manderx
08/21/2006, 01:04 PM
they lose the orange as they get older.

Gordonious
08/21/2006, 01:08 PM
All of them? All the way?

Salty Brother
08/21/2006, 01:17 PM
Yes manderx is right. When they are juvies they will have some orange on them, but when they are adults they will be all black with white stripes. Im not sure where to get them, but I think the are like $55 each.

Travis L. Stevens
08/21/2006, 01:27 PM
Actually, Black and White A. percula never lose the orange in their fins and face. They are often refered to as "Onyx Perculas".

The Black and White A. ocellaris do lose their juvenile coloration; the orange face. The age of the fish is often 1-2 years to have the orange face completely gone.

I would check around your LFSs. See if they can order you some in. Drs. Foster and Smith carries them and ORA breeds them.

Gordonious
08/21/2006, 01:36 PM
I had heard that about A. percula vs A. ocellaris at an LFS a long time ago, but as well all LFS info I listened, but didn't count it as fact.

So it looks like what I want to find is a Black and White morph of a A. ocellaris. (These are just color mutations not a seperate species currect?)

Travis L. Stevens
08/21/2006, 01:42 PM
That is correct. Same is true about "misbars", "snowflakes", and "naked". Most of these are just color variations of A. ocellaris. Occassionally, they are A. percula. Also, don't be fooled by Black and White A. clarkii, A. sebae, and A. polymnus. While they might be black and white, you'll be in for a treat if you are under the impression that they have attitudes like A. percula and A. ocellaris. :thumbsup:

Basically, all these "new" clownfish are just selective breeding. Just like freshwater fancy guppies, koi, goldfish, and bettas.

Gordonious
08/21/2006, 02:31 PM
That's what I figured.

Let me ask your opinion on something. Let me know if you think I am wrong. All of these selectively bread seem to be favored also because of their more docile personalities. I kind of think it's funny because I equate this docile behavior with a simple decrees in intelligence. I have found that the more intelligent an animal is often the more aggressive it is. The least aggressive animals are the ones that lead the most simple lives requiring the least amount of intelligence.
I realize most people care little about the intelligence of the animal as long as it is "pretty". Personally I'd rather come home to a fish that recognizes me begs for food and does tricks out of boredom or trying to impress me. I'd rather that then a fish that sits there opening and closing it's mouth slowly moving water across it's gills.
I dunno. Some random thoughts I've had for a while, unorganized and just blurted out.

Gordonious
08/21/2006, 03:22 PM
If I were to get a normal colored tank bed Amphiprion ocellaris and the black and white one, both small, same size, same time... is it inevitable there would be eggs? If so I've heard most often the eggs just end up as good food. In a smaller tank is it possible these would just end up in my filter dying and ending up with an ammonia spike?