PDA

View Full Version : Kalk rx or Dose from reservoir

1SickReefer
08/20/2006, 01:14 PM
Hi Randy,

I know you prefer to dose from a still container. I switched to a GEO kalk reactor from "still dosing" just for experience sake. I was not the most thrilled with it so I'm going back to dosing from a still container. . I have my 44g in basement that I'm thinking of going back to mixing my kalk in.

I have a new big jar of RowaKalk that I can use or I still have some jars of Mrs Wages left. Which one would you use? I was using rowa in the reactor.

Also can you hook me up with some leads on where to find the type of lyme you use? I believe it a 50lb bag?

Also if I use the RowaKalk, would it loose too much of its potency leaving it still for 2 weeks at a time? covered of course, I guess the same question for Mrs Wages.

And lastly if I use the RowaKalk and run out, would it be a bad idea to switch to Mrs Wages or the Lyme you use? I have the Rowa I might as well use it if you say its ok for still dosing.

Thanks again Randy, or other chemistry guru! :D

O, and my Mg has climbed from 1140 to 1200 using the stand alone solution :) I'll bring it up to 1250's tomorrow.

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/20/2006, 04:34 PM
I have a new big jar of RowaKalk that I can use or I still have some jars of Mrs Wages left. Which one would you use? I was using rowa in the reactor.

I'd use either one, then when it runs out, use the other. :D

Mix and match them at will. :)

Also if I use the RowaKalk, would it loose too much of its potency leaving it still for 2 weeks at a time? covered of course, I guess the same question for Mrs Wages.

Nope. A covered 44 gallon container keeps it potency for weeks. I show that here:

The Degradation of Limewater (Kalkwasser) in Air
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.php

from it:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/images/image004.gif

1SickReefer
08/20/2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks Randy! I mixed up the Mrs Wages about an hour ago :D PH is starting to climb as we speak ....

Thanks again