PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY - Plaster/Paint fell into reef, what to do?

FalsePerc
08/20/2006, 05:16 PM
Hey all,
Several dried chips of plaster and paint (mostly plaster) fell into my 55g reef just now - I know that plaster dissolves in water and will probably cause a problem. However, most of the chips are now unlocatable due to my heavy rockwork/lots of flow. I have sps, lps, softies, andseveral expensive fish/shrimp/crabs/etc. Should I be worrying? I'm mixing water change water right now, but I don't have access to mroe then 10g for the rest oif the week.

Help!

Mike

chrismunn
08/20/2006, 05:22 PM
i bet nothing happens...

smoknreefrs
08/20/2006, 05:23 PM
run a lot of carbon, and do a few 10% water changes for the next couple of days.

i really dont think that anything bad will happen if its just plaster and latex water based paint...now, on the other hand, if you have the old lead based paint, or opil based paint that would be cause for concern.

Ciarán
08/20/2006, 05:33 PM
Plaster = CaCO3 = harmless precipitate

Paint well thats an unknown quantity - hopefully non-toxic. Id say it will be fine, just look at the behaviour of everything in your tank

JmLee
08/20/2006, 05:35 PM
yeah i would run carbon and just do water changes.

FalsePerc
08/20/2006, 05:40 PM
Thank you very much, guys. I'm not sure what typew of paint it is; it was a painted piece of wood we got at a garage sale that was being used as a "frame" for the tank. My skimmer was causing the paint to bubble, so we went to remove it, and completely forgot that there was plaster/chipped paint behind the piece of wood, whcih all fell into the tank. It was not much, maybe 20 chips total, i've just had my experience with small amounts of soap in decidedly large aquariums wreaking havoc, and I figured paint/plaster would be the same. I guess we'll see how things work out.

Mike

hogpark7430
08/20/2006, 05:48 PM
How was the skimmer making the paint boil?

FalsePerc
08/20/2006, 08:47 PM
It caused water to precipitate and hit the paint, which absorbed it and began to bubble.

Mike