PDA

View Full Version : I'm waiting for my cycle

D-Rod
08/20/2006, 08:00 PM
I started to cure my LR that was out of a tank for a month but kept moist 4+ months ago, i did several WC then due to an unexpected work related travel i only had time to add RO to keep up with evaporation so it sat there 4+ months with 2 PH and a skimmer running 24/7. Then came a health issue so finally this past thursday i added water & sand to my tank and friday my LR. saturday night i tested the water and the only thing that was off was my nitrate they were about 15 everything else looked great. also i tested today in the morning and just now with the nitrate at 10.
I did put in a big pinch of flake food too start off the cycling on thursday.
so i'm confused, shouldn't i have either an ammonia or nitrite spike?

or could it be that my LR was totally cured and i'm not going to go through the "cycle"

i've never let my uncured rock cure for that long before i just added a cocktail shrimp to start things in the past.

any thoughts? i'll wait a couple more days berore i transfer my fish over to there new home.

D-Rod
08/20/2006, 08:41 PM

graveyardworm
08/20/2006, 09:36 PM
I'm a little confused, the rock was out of the tank for 4 months but kept moist? How was it kept moist?

D-Rod
08/20/2006, 09:43 PM
In a plastic container with the tight fitting lid on and about 1 inch of water.
Condensation!

D-Rod
08/20/2006, 10:04 PM
Here maybe this explains it, i rewrote some of it

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7978410#post7978410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D-Rod

I GOT 80 LBS OF LR IN MARCH from a friend who took down his tank and put it in a plastic container with the tight fitting lid and about 1 inch of water and that kept it moist. (Condensation)

OK 1 month goes by.

It's APRIL 4+ months ago.
i start to cure my LR but due to an unexpected work related travel and health issues
i only had time to add RO to keep up with evaporation so it sat there 4+ months with 2 PH and a skimmer running 24/7.
The LR was TOTALLY SUBMERGED IN SW.

So finally this past thursday i added NEW SW water & sand to my tank and friday i added my CURED LR.
Saturday night i tested the water and the only thing that was off was my nitrate it was about 15 everything else looked great. also i tested today in the morning and just now with the nitrate at 10.

I did put in a big pinch of flake food too start off the cycling on thursday.

so i'm confused, shouldn't i have either an ammonia or nitrite spike?

or could it be that my LR was totally cured and i'm not going to go through the "cycle"

i've never let my uncured rock cure for that long before i just added a cocktail shrimp to start things in the past.

any thoughts? i'll wait a couple more days berore i transfer my fish over to there new home.

blufish
08/20/2006, 11:11 PM
Your rock might be cured, but that doesn't mean it's in great shape. You probably lost a lot of life when it was out of the water.

I would go slow with adding additional bioload.

D-Rod
08/20/2006, 11:22 PM
I've found so far;
2 brisleworms
3 peanut worms
this
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=910586
and
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=910900

and a bunch of little crawling things that i haven't ID yet and these things that look like a spider web but if it only had 1 strand

I did have a heater when i was curing the LR.

D-Rod
08/21/2006, 09:44 AM
Still wondering if i'm going to have a spike of some sort, otherwise tomorrow is move in day for my livestock. i don't even have a hint of an algae breakout

graveyardworm
08/21/2006, 05:36 PM
It sounds as though the rock is in pretty good shape, but I would give it more than just a few days, atleast a week or two. Then I would add livestock slowly so the bio filter has time to mature with the additions.